• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Soot?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Soot?

Post by djpeewee »

How much soot from engine exhaust do you get?

After a week of motoring, totaling about 15 hours of run time, I noticed a good glaze of soot on the port side of the transom near the boarding door. This seems a little excessive to me so I wanted to ask the members here what they experience? I have the Volvo KAMD300A engine. On a calm day I do notice a slight brown smoke trail following me. I don't consider it to be significant, but obviously related to the soot. Below is a picture of the smoke trail.
smoke trail w1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Soot?

Post by Tree »

We get some near the exhaust on the waterline. Nothing that I am bothered by. Volvos do have a tendency to be a bit sooty anyway by their very nature. Looks like you've got no issue there.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

This may be entirely normal but just make sure that you can turn 1 to 200 RPM above the rated RPM at wide open throttle. If not you may be over propped and lugging the engine, one of the common causes of smoke in the exhaust.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

One thing I do remember about the KAD 300 engine aside from it being the best variant of the 3.6 litre range, was that Volvo had to discontinue it here in Europe as it failed on emissions massively with regards to the new rules.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

Russell: no problem reaching 4000 RPM. The engine is electronically limited beyond that.

Tree: yes, I read that Volvo had to discontinue the KAD series because of emissions. Everything else is good with the engine (aside from a small oil leak/spray from the timing cover on occasion). I guess I'll just continue washing the transom after any major outings.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck

Return to “Albin Maintenance”