• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AquaGen Generator / Watermaker Project

djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

AquaGen Generator / Watermaker Project

Post by djpeewee »

As I mentioned in another post, I just finished up installing a generator / water maker:

AquaGen from Aquamarine (http://aquamarineinc.net/) in Deer Harbor, WA.
150A DC generator
Kubota 6.5hp single cylinder diesel
24gph reverse osmosis water maker

Someone requested a little more info on it, so here it is...

It is a very, ahem... "modular" system. By modular, I mean you get the main unit, and a couple of boxes of loose parts, pieces, and hoses. You shoehorn it all into the boat wherever you can fit the stuff, with little documentation. The modular design of the system is actually a benefit when installing in a small boat like the 28TE.

We have a flush deck, and I was reasonably sure (fingers crossed) it would fit. Although I was a little concerned because the manufacturer's measurements were conflicting and it was difficult to get a clear answer. I had to do everything I could to minimize the height of the installation. That is where I was going to have the least clearance.

The flush deck has a big fish locker/hatch in the center of the deck that lifts up toward the pilot house, and two smaller hatches/lockers to each side of it.
Deck.jpg
The only location that was large enough to accommodate the main unit was below the port hatch/locker, which meant the storage locker bin thing had to go.

Looking aft:
Facing Aft.jpg
Looking down:
Facing Down.jpg
Looking forward:
Facing Fore.jpg
Looking starboard:
Facing Stbd.jpg
This location was reasonably empty with only the salt water wash down pump there.

The engine, DC generator (alternator), and high pressure water pump are one unit - everything else is loose. You are required to modify the engine some, but the needed parts are supplied. I had to remove the Kubota factory radiator and alternator, and bolt on some blanking plates and an exhaust elbow.

To mount the main unit I used some aluminum angle and wood and epoxied the port bracket to the hull and the starboard bracket to the stringer.

Mounting brackets:
Brackets.jpg
I had to remove the factory engine brackets and build some new ones out of stainless steel flat bar. This saved me about 1" in height, which made it possible to fit the thing. Also, the manufacturer fabricated a custom height exhaust elbow to fit the space. This saved another 1/2" or so.

Once the main unit was installed, there were a few larger items to find homes for. The primary sand filter is quite large (8" x 22") and just barely fit behind the fuel tank - just in front of the rudder support hardware. It's the thing in the center with the silver handle. I have about 1/2" clearance under the aft hatch for the filter.

Pre filters:
filter.jpg
The thing to the port side of the filter is the secondary, 5 micron filter.

The rest of the install was plumbing and electrical and went reasonably.

The control panel was mounted at the helm, just below the battery control panel I installed:

Control panel cutout:
Control Before.jpg
Control panel:
Control After.jpg
After everything was installed, I fabricated sound deadening panels and mounted them in place. You can also see the sound deadening insulation I mounted on the outside of the port side of the fish box in the second photo. I still have to install the sound deadening insulation on the underside of the hatch. I ran the generator yesterday, and I think I am going to beef up the sound deadening. This thing makes quite some noise.

Here are a few photos of the main unit installed:
Done Looking Down.jpg
Done Looking Down 2.jpg
Done Hatch.jpg
Done Bilge.jpg
As I mentioned earlier in this post, the system is built into the boat. In some places there is 1/2" clearance, at most, around parts of the engine. It really couldn't have fit any better.

Sorry for the long post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
catalina_mike
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point

Re: AquaGen Generator / Watermaker Project

Post by catalina_mike »

Excellent post and project! Do not apologize for the length of the post. It was a great documentation of your project. Good job!
Silverton 2007 36C
Sold - Albin 1999 28TE
SSI Instructor 13937
SDI / TDI Instructor 18172
USCG 100 Ton near coastal

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”