• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Signs of Electrolysis on Cutlass Bearing Housing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

JKISP
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Melbourne, FL

Signs of Electrolysis on Cutlass Bearing Housing

Post by JKISP »

I hauled Island Belle yesterday and following pressure washing and wet blasting of all the metal we see a red color on the cutlass bearing housing. The shaft zinc has been effective for the shaft and prop and all the strainers and keel look good and ready for prime and paint. Do the housing bolts connect to the dripless interior fitting? I do not see a grounding wire in the bilge or where one should be connected. What's supposed to protect the cutlass bearing housing from electrolysis?
JKISP
"Island Belle" 2003 28TE, 6LP, Hull # 586
Manatee Cove Marina, Patrick AFB
sneakers
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: marblehead, ma

Re: Signs of Electrolysis on Cutlass Bearing Housing

Post by sneakers »

i had to replace my bearing housing because the stub that fits into the shaft tube had corroded away. i installed a ground from the bearing housing to the keel strut that supports the bottom of the rudder, the keel strut was found to be grounded but the bearing housing was not. run the wire ground behind the back side of the keel to keep it out of the high velocity flow
elad

Post by elad »

The cutless bearing housing on my 2000 28TE also shows signs of electrolysis. The stub that protrudes into the skeg is almost half gone. How did you ground to the keel strut?
sneakers
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: marblehead, ma

Post by sneakers »

elad drill and tape a hole for a small bolt

Return to “Albin Maintenance”