• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

28te cut less housing bed.

lunenburgalbin
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lunenburg NS, Canada

28te cut less housing bed.

Post by lunenburgalbin »

Noticed my cutless housing was loose. Resin spacer poured between housing and skeg is deteriorating. Has anyone seen this before? Was this resin poured because of a broken stern tube?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Coastalrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chesapeake MD

Re: 28te cut less housing bed.

Post by Coastalrunner »

It's resin mixed with a thickening agent. The reason it's there is to act as a centering device and smooth/Flat surface for the stern tube to mount to.

Another words it like that from the factory.

I eliminated mine and glassed a cutlass/fiberglass stern tube to carry the cutlass bearing. Crazy enough I think I gained a few knots in the process.
lunenburgalbin wrote:Noticed my cutless housing was loose. Resin spacer poured between housing and skeg is deteriorating. Has anyone seen this before? Was this resin poured because of a broken stern tube?
1996 Albin 28 TE
Cummins 330
Summer Breeze

1977 Seavee 25 CC
Cummins 370
Classic V
elad

Re: 28te cut less housing bed.

Post by elad »

Last summer I pulled the shaft on my 28th end route to pulling the engine to replace the timing belt and other sundry maintenance. The cutless bearing housing was also loose. We had to beat the shaft out as it was bound tight. Once the cutless bearing was out it showed very uneven wear indicating the engine was out of alignment. Sure enough when the shaft was installed and engine realigned it was off by about 0.75 in at the rear mounts. Had to redrilll new alignment holes as we ran out of alignment slot. This had to have come that way from the factory. Anyway, my mechanic used resin to bed the bearing housing. After I could turn the shafts with one bare hand.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”