• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Hi from the UK

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Sold in New Orleans

Hi from the UK

Post by smacksman »

My wife thinks I'm mad - again.
In 2012 I bought a 1971 Bristol30 sailboat on Ebay - sight unseen - and sailed (well motored 90%) from Connecticutt to Key West and back to Ft. Lauderdale where I sold her, again on Ebay.
Not really the place here but if anyone is interested I put my adventure on Youtube under 'Sail The ICW 2012'.
I had such an adventure and met such lovely people I have to do it again, but this time going north.
I have bought on Ebay - sight unseen - an Albin27 of great age which I am told is in working condition.
I'm sure it is. I have great faith in the basic honesty of the sailing fraternity and rarely proved wrong.
I have not set foot on her yet as I'm tied up in the UK till the end of March. By this time I hope it will be getting warmer from South Carolina north!
Fair winds to all here.
Roger
1983 Albin 27fc 'Free State' with Lehman 4D61- now sold.
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Tellico Marina- Little Tennessee River near Vonore, TN

Re: Hi from the UK

Post by tego »

Welcome and God bless you my friend. I sincerely hope your trust is not misplaced, but let us know where and what year the vessel is and maybe we know her. This group is pretty tightly knit and has a wealth of knowledge about Albins. When you start on your adventure, keep us posted on your progress. The members here can provide a lot of info/help along the way on services, marinas, fuel points etc. as well as advise you on places of interest you shouldn't miss on your journey. Hope to hear from you on here. Ben
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Good to see more of us from the UK Roger! Our Albin isn't in the States, we shopped it over here to the UK!

You'll get all the info you need here without a doubt, there are some very knowledgeable people on these boards that will help you out.

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Post by Mark Deeser »

Wow, sounds like the start of an adventure. Keep us updated. You pick a nice boat for your trip. If you would like a nice side trip, turn left at Jacksonville an take the St John's River to the Florida of the past.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Smacksman: You are indeed a trusting and adventures sole. Do you have photo's of the 27? Well, surely yes. They are fine Albin's.
If you bought from anyone on this site you will be fine.
whwells "Howard"
2006 Saber 42 Flybridge
Former: 35te Albin 2006 Flybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

Thank you for your welcome guys. No doubt I will be tapping your collective brains in due course.
She has had a rub on her upper rubbing strake and lost a few feet of rubber. Is is available to buy in short lengths?
I'll start a new thread once I am on board.
Till then - fair winds.
Roger
edit - added to read 'upper rubbing strake'
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Welcome aboard from a fellow Brit who is also in the process of buying a Lehman powered 27FC, of similar age as yours, and apparently in the same State. Hope you are enjoying yours by now.

It seems that the older the sailor gets, the older his boat gets, which is fine by me, and Albins were built to last. If you get to Deale MD give me a shout - I have Plymouth (Navy) Gin on board, and will share.
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

Just to correct my intentions above. By the time I left Charleston, SC it was still snowing in New England so headed south towards New Orleans instead. Though the temptation of you flying a 'gin pennant' is indeed strong.
I've almost finished my adventure so she is up for sale now (see the for sale section). If no buyer then I'll lay her up and come back for another 3 month visa.
Fair winds, Roger
smacksman
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by smacksman »

Quick update.
Made the sail to New Orleans and pleased I did.
My Albin27FC proved herself a very able cruising boat over the 1500+ mile trip in smooth and rough conditions.
I'm sure the next owner will get as much pleasure as I did.
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Just closed sale on 27FC. Temporary time constraints mean I have to overland her to Deale, but GP will be flying soonest.
Fair amount of work ahead to bring her to Bristol fashion, but having been to said city I am confident that we can achieve this goal. (Brunel notwithstanding)
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Cruising the East Coast without a schedule......nothing like it!!! Good luck!!!!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “New Member Introductions”