• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Volvo d6 EVC shutdown engine

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Savannah, GA.

Volvo d6 EVC shutdown engine

Post by bobm »

I was returning from fishing offshore when I stopped to empty holding tank. Afterwards I put engine in gear to resume my run back but the EVC flashed a STOP ENGINE sign and then immediately shut down the engine. Could restart engine but when put back in gear the same thing happened again. Had to be towed in.
Tried to diagnose problem next day. Found gear fluid below minimum level. Refilled to proper level, restarted engine and could put in gear without problem. Have not tried to leave dock yet. Waiting for mechanic to read Vodia software to access any Fault codes. Has anyone here had a similar experience where low trans fluid could cause engine shutdown?
bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Volvo d6 EVC shutdown engine

Post by bobm »

Update: I checked the fluid again Sunday and ran the boat. No fault codes or apparent problems. Dealer said it would have to be a more serious problem to cause the engine to shut down, but this seems (so far) to have corrected the issue. My next question is what happened to the fluid. Have not seen evidence of a leak. Only needed about 1/4 or less of the quart bottle to top it up. Anyone had a problem with the HSAE reverse gear losing fluid? Could not see any loss of fluid level when running the boat Sunday.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

I have not had this problem but my guess is the transmission oil was not the cause of the shut down. Last time it was filled it may have had an air bubble somewhere (filter) that was displaced when the boat was run. It also sounds unusual to have a shut down without a code. Let's hope it does not happen again.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bobm »

Thanks Russ. I have the older EVC B which doesn't enable me to check the past fault codes from my boat. Hope to get my mechanic to read them with his Vodia tool this week. I will post any new information it provides.
bobm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bobm »

update on this incident. Vodia did not show any fault codes. One injector showed signs of a potential problem so it is being replaced under Volvo parts warrantee. i replaced all injectors in 2014.

This engine is a Volvo long block installed in Oct. 2014.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”