• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albins and V drive??

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Florida

Albins and V drive??

Post by fighterpilot »

Looking at Older model Albins in the 25 to 30 foot range. Want diesel, straight inboard, but most of the Albins I find have V drive. Did they make any 25 to 30 foot "hard top", pilot house type boats in the 1980s to 2000 time frame with diesel power straight drive? If so what model, name, etc. do I look for? Thanks
tego
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Cherokee Resort and Marina - Tellico River near Vonore, TN

Re: Albins and V drive??

Post by tego »

Check out the Albin 27 Family Cruiser and the 27 Sport Cruiser, depending on the speed you want to get where you're going. I'd assume from your moniker that you like to get there fast, so the SC would probably be more to your liking. The 28 TE's are great also if your primary goal is fishing. I believe some of them are straight drive. Ben
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fighterpilot »

Ben, thanks a lot for the reply. Been on local fishing forum and the Hull Truth forum for 2 days. O replies on both of them.

We have had boats before, everything from a 2550 Hydra-sport, up to a 34 foot Californian, with a Chris Craft Commander and an Aquasport Tournament master in between. All with in the last 10 years. Trying figure out what we want of a boat.
Son-in-law sold his shrimp boat but hates to give up the shrimp. Looking for something we can put a kangaroo rig on the stern for shrimping and still do a little fishing. If seas more than 2 feet we don't go, and 15 knots would be good enough cruise. When we leave the bays we can get out to the Gulf near Pensacola for some snapper fishing. We have looked at a Delta 28 and will look at a Shamrock 26 Sunday. Must have diesel, straight inboard set up. Cabin, v-bunks and at least a porta-potty at a minimum. Prefer Cummins but are willing to consider other diesel brands. Needs to be stable at anchor since we fish at anchor. First test is the step down on to it from the dock. If it really rocks than we get off, or at least the fisherwomen do. The 2550 Hydrasport was stable enough so know a small boat with the right hull, etc. will be OK. Limited by $30,000 budget as well.
Again, thanks for the reply. Will continue the search with Albins on the list.

I'm an "old" fighterpilot so being old, speed isn't a big deal anymore. But I do have a 1000mph pin. About 1.65 mach.
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fighterpilot »

Does anyone on this forum have a straight drive Albin in the under 30 foot length, like a 27 or 28 footer for example. ??? Or know someone that does???
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Fighterpilot: Lots of fine Albin's out there that fit your needs. The 28te us a very fine fishing platform. The best of the best may be the if you want to step up to that series. I have had the 35te and it is both roomy and if equipped with the trolling valve also a great fisher.
whwells "Howard"
2006 Saber 42 Flybridge
Former: 2006 35te Sport-fisher/flybridge
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22 local fisher
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

The Flush deck 28 TE are straight drives.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

sweetwater wrote:The Flush deck 28 TE are straight drives.
Budget is $30,000
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fighterpilot »

I agree the 28TE looks like a good combination of what we would like. Unfortunately the cheapest one I can find is above the amount of money we want to spend for this project. We will have to spend some money to add the kangaroo shrimp rig after we get the boat as well. Going this route since most shrimp boats don't trailer and don't cruise 15 knots. These three conditions plus the budget make the search challenging to say the least. There are 27s in the price range but, thus far, all are V drive and/or have the small diesel engine. But thank you for the suggestions.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

this one isn't an albin and isn't the queen of the fleet but may fit your bill.
http://www.boatsandcycles.com/boats-for ... 176969.asp
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fighterpilot »

eseyoung, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately that is a double rig with wing nets and we are staying with a single rig so we can keep the supporting structure to a minimum and minimize the height. Still want to trailer it. Not sure the beam of the reference boat but would like to stay at 10 feet or below as well. But thanks for thinking of us. Never know when something might turn up. And she doesn't have to be a queen or an Albin to work. Also looking at Shamrock 26 hardtops, 26 Machinaws, 27 Sport-Crafts, and 28 Deltas. And any other model boats that resemble them that are suggested. Diesel, preferable Cummins, but will consider Perkins and Yanmar, 15 knot cruise. Cabin of some sort with at least V bunks and a head, and trailerable also are requirements. Would like to keep beam 10 feet or less but if everything else is right and the price is good would push beam number up a bit. Thanks
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by eseyoung »

suggestion I would give is buying a gas boat, use it for a year or two and repower. I think there are incentives for commercial guys to re power with clean diesels.

Just a thought. 30K is a tight budget for any diesel powered boat, add the size you want and the list slims even more. Maybe look for a Shamrock Mackinaw? I seem to remember seeing one in VA for sale, already on a trailer for 30Kish.

Best of luck in the search If i see anything i will be sure to post the link here.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by eseyoung »

Check you PMs i sent you the contact info from the Mackinaw i saw.
mudskipper
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mudskipper »

we all need lots of boats. I Suggest you buy one of those cute little 25albins. For you and Madame, and then get a 150 HP E TEC SINGLE. ( new and reliable) put on a very purpose built boat.Why to you need all that jack shaft and universals nonsense. You need a cozy nook albin. You need a pocket shrimper too. I Think basic used 25 albinos have been about 25 thousand. Take another 25 K to a local guy who makes work boats .Tell him what you need to attach your shrimppy gear. (Nothing personal) Need small wheel house get drop down pocket windows in frontbacked with head your female guests can approve. I am assuming this might be wood / fiber glassed . oh baby it is fun spending your money. Jay
fighterpilot
First Mate
First Mate

Post by fighterpilot »

Hey Mudskipper-appreciate the help. You seem to understand what the letters in "BOAT" stand for. LOL.
Must Fish
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Cape may new jersey

Post by Must Fish »

Hey fighter pilot I know this is a little late but just saw your post about v-drive the 28te is not a v- drive its a reverse drive witch is the same as straight drive and a great set up with the yanmar 315

Return to “General Discussion”