• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Boat Transport

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

robertwcass
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: San Diego

Boat Transport

Post by robertwcass »

Hi All,

Anyone have a good transport company they have worked with and can recommend? I need to move my Albin 28 TE from San Rafael CA to San Diego CA sometime later this month.

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Albin 28 TE "Bridget Antonia"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Boat Transport

Post by jcollins »

<post relocated>
Lenovo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Dana Point, California

Post by Lenovo »

San Diego Boat Movers trucked my 36 Express Trawler from Kemah, Texas to Shelter Island Boat Yard in San Diego in January of 2013 and did a good job and were professional, courteous and easy to work with. They can be reached at 619-582-0715.

Tony
slimjim
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SAN FRANCISCO CA

Post by slimjim »

Sales@360boatloader.com Owner Larry Cummins. He's in San Diego Ca. He did my 28Albin TE from LA to SF. Low quote and great fast job.
Mntry_Goodson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Monterey, CA

Post by Mntry_Goodson »

Faced with the same issue a few years back, I purchased a trailer for my 28TE and it turned out to be a great decision. It did cost $12,000 but now I can tow it up and down the coast with a $16 wide load permit. Let me know if you want trailer manufacturer info.
Darryl
"Terry Lee II"
1999 28TE 6LP
Engine box / Trailer
Monterey, CA
CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Norwich,CT

Post by CaptSteve »

Looking into getting a trailer for a 28TE. MANFACTURING INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED
STEVE
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

since my 28 only travels 70 miles overland twice a year i use a transport service. i have my boat at home for the winter season allowing me the convenience of stepping out my door to do repairs and maintenance. hauling round trip for me is less costly than wintering at a marina and i don't have to upgrade my truck or deal with the permit process here in CT.

$12000 trailer and $50000 truck expenses saved = more cash for goodies for my boat and more offshore trips! :wink:
CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate

Post by CaptSteve »

Good thinking! I already have the truck and trailer my 26' all over the place. Not saying I would be trailering the albin everywhere but would like to be able to if needed.
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

my silverado 2500 with duramax allison combo is not enough truck to pull my albin. towing a 26 footer with 8 foot beam is a piece of cake but the added beam and weight made self towing a no=go for me. if i had the truck necessary for other purposes, like my business i wouldn't hesitate. a 5500 dually or better seems to be the minimum i'd be comfortable with.....
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Post by eseyoung »

I know the specs of the A27 are a bit smaller but i towed mine over 1000miles through 8 states without any issues. I don't think the extra 6inches width or 1000# would be deal breaker. as far as weight goes my camper is 12,000# (about the same +/- my estimate for a 28TE and trailer) and i put 4,000-5,000 mi with out any problems.

the driver being comfortable/confident with the combo is very important .
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

I know guys with 3/4 and 1 ton Dodge/Cummins trucks that pull 16,000# on a regular basis.
I've hauled 8-10K a couple of times with my son's 05 and being a rookie hauler of sorts it was a little nerve racking (especially going thru NYC on I-95) but the truck really had zero issues doing it.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate

Post by CaptSteve »

As long as the trailer is out fit with good brakes there should be no problems with that.
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

I tow my 2004 28TE with a 2500 Silverado Duramax regularly. Trailer is a custom made aluminum one from ABTrailers in SoCal. Boat and trailer weigh in at just over 12.5k. Tows just fine - no worries.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck
CaptSteve
First Mate
First Mate

Post by CaptSteve »

Triple axel trailer & what rating on the trailer? 12k or 9k?
djpeewee
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port Angeles/On Driveway

Post by djpeewee »

Triple axle 15k trailer with surge brakes and 2-5/16" ball.
DJ
TRYGON
28 TE Flush Deck

Return to “General Discussion”