• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Why side exiting exhaust?

Coastalrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chesapeake MD

Why side exiting exhaust?

Post by Coastalrunner »

After spending some time on my new 28 I've been wondering why side exhaust, is there a design issues tha require it?

Also any ideas onwha the transom is cored with if it is at all. I wonder if it would be quiter if TE exhaust exited the transom?
1996 Albin 28 TE
Cummins 330
Summer Breeze

1977 Seavee 25 CC
Cummins 370
Classic V
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Why side exiting exhaust?

Post by eseyoung »

My guess. and just a guess would be to limit the "station wagon" effect of having low pressure at the transom while underway. when the exhaust comes out the back the low pressure can cause soot and smoke to linger and follow you.

another possibility is that the height of where the exhaust needs to exit would interfere with the swim platform. or maybe it just looks cool.

That said many boats have transom exhaust.
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Re: Why side exiting exhaust?

Post by JackK »

eseyoung wrote:My guess. and just a guess would be to limit the "station wagon" effect of having low pressure at the transom while underway. when the exhaust comes out the back the low pressure can cause soot and smoke to linger and follow you.

another possibility is that the height of where the exhaust needs to exit would interfere with the swim platform. or maybe it just looks cool.

That said many boats have transom exhaust.
That's it - to avoid the station wagon effect !
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”