• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Newbie Intro -

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: St Petersburg, FL

Newbie Intro -

Post by Farmer38 »

Hi all,

Newbie here! (And I proved it by originally posting this in the wrong area... Apologies!)

I've been in the market for a boat for some time and have become rather passionate about Albin's, if just from my research. Went and visited two 32 2's on the market today and my suspicions that this model would suit my needs was all but cemented. Only years on board will confirm I suppose.

I'm looking for suggestions for surveyors in the Jacksonville area (my home port is St. Pete) but most importantly I'm looking for suggestions on how to interview prospective surveyors. I need this person looking out for my best interests...

I've got a bit of boating in my background, but this will be my first inboard ownership experience. Do I need to spring for a mechanic to really survey the engine with nearly 2000 hrs and 14 years on her?

Any other purchasing suggestions I should consider?

Thanks in advance!

Jim
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Port of Call Yatch Club

Re: Newbie Intro -

Post by Mark Deeser »

Welcome, looks like you have found a good boat and web site. I just went through the whole surveyor thing, many good articles on the Internet to help in selecting one. In the end I just called and talked to different ones until I found one who just felt right, you will know him about five minutes into the conversation. Your insurance company will also help you with certain accreditations they require surveyors to have. The engine represents about a third of the boat value, is it worth looking into? Hope some of this is of value, hopefully others will weight in with additional info. Thanks, Mark.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome: Yes, you need a boat surveyor as well as a qualified diesel mech. Often the surveyor's are simply to close to the broker's and seller's
from a lot of repeat contact. Make clear you want an inspection for your sole benefit and plan to be there throughout the survey. It does not hurt to make it clear you want the surveyor to nit pick a bit.
With 2000 hours you will want to have the mech. check out the engine fully. Hopefully you can find marine certified mech. for the engine builder.
You want to check out the exhaust manifolds and the entire salt water exchange system. It is good ideas to request of the owner the full service records so you have a good history on the power plant.
The total hours is not bad as long as you get the service history. Which engine does the boat have?
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sport-fisher/Flybridge
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Farmer38 »

Yanmar 350HP Diesel with 1970 hours, Oil Change 4/13, NEW engine zincs 2/2014
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Jim,
Welcome to Albin Owners Group.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Farmer38 »

OK - Reading Sid Stapleton's "Powerboat Bible"... so far he is calling it like he sees it. Not sure I can swing going to a 50 foot boat, to cross the Gulf Stream, but I hear what he is saying.
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Deeser »

Farmer, I'm sure I must have missed something, but what did mr sid say about needing a 50 foot boat to cross the Gulf Stream? Thanks, Mark.
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Farmer38 »

"For handling the sea conditions encountered in open-water voyag- ing, however, I personally feel a vessel of about 40 feet (12 m) overall is the practical minimum, and I’d really rather have a boat closer to 50 feet (15 m). People regularly venture offshore in power- boats under 40 feet, but I think they are foolishly taking their lives in their hands. It’s not merely a question of the expanse of open water to be cov- ered. It’s only about 50 nautical miles (80 km) from the east coast of Florida to the Bahamas, for instance, but to get there you have to cross the Gulf Stream. I’ve been in the stream with 30 knots of wind opposing the stream’s 4-knot current and found it a frightening experience even in a well- found boat of 50 feet or so. I shudder to think what it would be like in a lesser vessel. Further, I think it takes at least a 40-footer to provide a safe fuel reserve and adequate living space and storage capacity for at least two people and occasional guests to cruise in relative comfort for a month or more."

Posted without permission from Sid's Powerboat Bible.
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Deeser »

Farmer, I would not presume to speak against the one who wrote the Bible. Google Gulf Stream crossings, many people have had great trips in smaller boats. Of course you need the time to select the right weather window. A well founded boat, and good weather equal a good trip. If you feel uncomfortable hire a captain to go along, he can teach a great deal, may want to try buddy boating. The gentleman I bought my 27 Albin aft cabin from made the crossing three times in it. First trip he was seventy years old, hired a captain. If the weather is wrong the cruise ships don't go. Everyone has their opinion, you just got mine. It's never to late to live happily ever after. Thanks, Mark
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Farmer38 »

Thanks Mark,

I understand what Sid's point is, I believe. In ruff weather, a larger, more sea friendly vessel is going to be (safer) more comfortable. And, to be sure one (the inexperienced especially) understands that the weather does not always cooperate, does change unpredictably, so there are always risks. At least that is my takeaway... And my insurance quotes seem to bolster that position...
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
Mark Deeser
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mark Deeser »

Farmer, of course he is correct. The big BUT I see here is a very large portion of us can not afford a boat in the 40 to 50 foot range, let alone the cost to operate it. My insurance hit me with a 46 dollar annual increase to include the islands. My point is, do not let anyone steal your dreams. I am all about planning an preparation. Can a Catalina 27 be used as a blue water cursing boat? Of course not, but don't tell that to the people who are doing it. Thanks, Mark.
Hopscotch
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: None

Post by Hopscotch »

Wasn't the Albin 25 designed for island
Hopping in the North Sea . Some people
Have told me. They would much rather
be in albin 25 when it get bad. Than a
50 footer. Am I wrong. Isn't the North
Sea brutal.
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Farmer38 »

Survey and sea trial next week, pretty excited!

I'm thinking you are right Hopscotch, this boat is looking pretty sea kindly to me. Research says most agree too. I'll be sticking to intercostal, the gulf, fair weather of shore fishing and hopefully once a year or so crossing the Gulf Stream to hop around the Bahamas. Based in St Pete (Tampa Bay) plenty within reach for limited day/week trips and fishing. Did I mention I was excited?

Here is hoping for a good survey. I've asked them to be thorough, and give me the straight scoop. Gone with a highly respected marine and Desiel surveyor.
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL
DCatSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Alexandria VA

Post by DCatSea »

Also in the market for an Albin 27FC, and sea-keeping qualities are high on my list. You are right that the North Sea can be (and often is brutal), and the Albins are popular in the region. Not sure I'd prefer to be caught out there anywhere between "Cromarty". "Forth" or "Forties" for a long time in a small boat, but if I had to be there, an Albin would be somewhere on my list of contenders. (Former RN submariner who has bounced around in said sea areas for more than enough time.)
Doug and Georgia
"Mazboot" - 1984 27 FC #142
Lehman 4D61
Tribe 9.5 yak
Jackson STAXX-11 yak
Alexandria City Marina - F-03
Farmer38
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Farmer38 »

Today is a great day. Getting the keys to Island Waters, a well cared for 32 +2.
Jim & Deserie

2000 32+2 Island Waters
12' Flex Boat RIB
St Petersburg, FL

Return to “New Member Introductions”