• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Coring thickness

Coastalrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Chesapeake MD

Coring thickness

Post by Coastalrunner »

Anybody have a core sample of a 28TE, balsa core if possible. Just wondering how thick it is.

Also the area I've read about for the transducer instalation, is that spot cored?

I should be receiving my 28 Sunday morning, but these questions have been bugging me?

Plus I need a first post.
1996 Albin 28 TE
Cummins 330
Summer Breeze

1977 Seavee 25 CC
Cummins 370
Classic V
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Re: Coring thickness

Post by Carl »

28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
Coastalrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Coastalrunner »

Thanks, I was also looking, be neat to see how much was coring and how much was glass.
1996 Albin 28 TE
Cummins 330
Summer Breeze

1977 Seavee 25 CC
Cummins 370
Classic V
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

These photos are from 2010 when we had the malfunctioning transducer removed. Later we replaced it - on the opposite side - with an Airmar P78 in-hull that works really well.

The boat is a 1995 28TE. The hull composition within 2 feet outboard of the keel, amidships in the area of the battery compartment, was, from inside to outside: 1/8" resin and mat; 3/4" very hard tropical hardwood plywood, no voids and similar to Philippine Lauan in character, splits with difficulty and the grain has pronounced directionality; and 3/8" resin and mat. The photos are inadequate but all I have. The hole diameter is about 1 1/2".

Note that we found NO balsa, and that other parts of the hull might be built with different materials and thicknesses. Furthermore, other boats built at the same time in Albin's yard might be entirely different.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
Coastalrunner
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Coastalrunner »

That's interesting, I was wondering how albin in that period handled the thru hulls and ducer areas. I would have thought it was tapered down to solid glass. Intersecting thoughts. Guess that they continued the coring to the same depth, but installed rot free wood in those areas.

Thanks
1996 Albin 28 TE
Cummins 330
Summer Breeze

1977 Seavee 25 CC
Cummins 370
Classic V
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

The photo in this thread clearly shows the potential exposure to water possibly being able to infiltrate the core. The best procedure to eliminate this possibility is to:

1). overdrill from the inside stopping once you hit the outside fiberglass and gelcoat skin
2). tape the bottom of the hole & completely fill the hole with chopped glass and resin
3). drill the hole for the the transducer or thru hull

Following this procedure will ensure a dry hull and protect your asset. Using 5200 or other sealants are great, but using them alone will never ensure full protection.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Post by joe.baar »

Kevin, what sharp eyes you have. I neglected to mention that the threaded tube connecting the transducer to the boat's inside was, indeed "sealed" with 5200 or something like it - using that product should require a license - and the wood core was just slightly damp around the hole. There was no evidence of rot. My yard force-dried the area over 5 days and then plugged the hole per your item 2 and faired new glass inside and out.

Also, because the boat's second engine, a Yanmar, drives a left-hand screw and was installed after the original transducer, it was on the "wrong" side of the keel, per Airmar's instruction sheet, so I sited the new transducer on the port side, without boring all the way through the hull, and it works fine, as mentioned. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to amplify.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”