• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Be Careful

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mantoloking, NJ

Be Careful

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

We attended the NE Rendevous as part of our 2 week cruise in New England, had a great time. Continued on to Block, Cuttyhunk, Newport and Mystic. Last Monday in Mystic we were refueling on the way in and our routine is always to open the engine room hatch for many reasons. We have site tubes which show how full the tanks are for one. My wife did this and in the 40 it is about a 2-3 foot opening in the main salon. She then went out the other cabin door into the bright sun and return inside with sunglasses on, she forgot or did not see the opening and stepped into the engine room hatch. She fell very hard on her hip and shoulder causing a dislocation of the shoulder and a small fracture. After 2 painful attempts at the Emergency Center in Groton we got an ambulance ride to the hospital where they used anesthesia and an orthopod put it back. The next morning she felt OK ,I think from the anes carryover, and the immobilizer. She said she could make the 10 hour ride home to NJ. The Sound was flat but it kicked up alittle South of NY, she was very glad to see the Manasquan inlet! The Orthopedics guy here said so far no surgery but a 7 month recovery, starting in complete immobilizer.
She opened the hatch and forgot about it! I point this out as a caution to all of us from any type of fall that can happen on a boat. I am just very glad she did not hit her head. It will be a long recovery but she is OK. So as they said on that old show Hill Street Blues, "be careful out there".
We will be back at the Rendevous next year.
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Be Careful

Post by DougSea »

Hey Craig,

So sorry to hear about Janie's mishap! I sure do hope she mends quickly and completely! I've come close to the same when I've opened the hatch at the base of my steps and then forgot about it. Caught myself just in time.

It was great meeting you guys, and I thank you both for the tour of Highlander. I'll be posting the initial suggestions page for next year soon as I'd love to try and stop by some of the suggestions THIS year and get a feel for them. Look forward to seeing you wherever it may be!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Oh Man!!! Sorry to hear that Craig. I hope your wife has a speedy recovery. I came close one time while doing some work down in the engine room.....just completely forgot about it being opened and just caught myself before taking the plunge. I got a chill just thinking how painful that must have been.

I hope all else is going well. Sounds like Highlander is doing well!

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Thanks Tom and Doug, I think everyone has "almost" fallen in. I dropped one leg in and got a bad scrape on my shin, nothing like this.

Tom, I did have a question or 2 for you. Did you remove all your rails and redo the teak toe rail? How did that go? Did you do anything when you remounted, like silicone under stanchions? I think I have indoor storage lined up where I could do that rail over the winter. I thought I remembered you using some power sanders? You have wood experience, I still have the nice pen you made for me to prove it!

Other than the accident Highlander ran great , I was running between 16-18.5 knots and we averaged about 20 gals per hour. Put about 25 hours on in the 12 day trip. My exhaust got cleaner by the end of the trip the last day she seeemed to like the 10 hour run. Gauges never moved!

Hope you guys are well.
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Wishing your wife a full and rapid recovery. Appreicate the warning as well. Funny that I left the hatch outside the head open this week for air movement. Expect my mech. will be abroad while I am away. Well, need to get it closed as accidents do happen.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Conv.
JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Thanks Howard, we have all had close calls, I try to close it when finished and if needed open a few minutes later if needed.
She is making progress but it is a long battle, shoulders are tough to rehab.
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Hey Craig! Hope the Misses is doing well. Yes I did take off the rail to some sort of degree. I went from the sliding doors forward, one half at a time. Unhook it to the bow and do one side and then do the same on the other side. Plenty of flexibility in the railing where you can move it around and out of your way. I think I took off the rail completely from the center to the stern..... or not :) Then I used 100% clear silicone when reattaching the stanchions. A good squeeze in each hole and around the base making sure you wipe up what oozes. A small belt sander and palm sander worked good. Belt sander had a fine grit , don't remember what it was though. It can be a bit aggressive if you're not careful. Works real well on the flat areas. The palm sander where needed and then some hand sanding. Turned out fairly decent. I was happy. I used a Cetol Teak for a finish.
Hope this answers your questions. Must be gearing up for the long weekend...I know I am!! Sounds like Highlander is running well...that's good to hear. Don't forget....the waterways run all the way down this way. A reeeeal nice trip!
Enjoy! Tom

JerseyNSC40
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JerseyNSC40 »

Thanks Tom, Jane is still in a fair amount of pain probably from the fracture, she is improving but will be a long run of my cooking!! Not good!
Appreciate the information, planning to hit the Newport Boat Show and get information on finishes. I have to check but I think my rail is one solid run all way around. It will come off.
Would like to make that run south one of these days, I have my USCG license and have been trying to get a ride with someone who is experienced with the Intracoastal for the first run.
I remember following you down and all the interesting things you went through. How long was your trip? What would you say is a reasonable comfortable time in a boat like ours? I usually run about 16-18 knots when you can.
I do plan to get down there this winter but for a few weeks, have not figured it all out yet. If we do will let you know!
Craig
AlbinNSC40
Craig
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate

Post by tbnolin »

Jane! Jane! Are you there?!?! I hope the cook is feeding you well!! Sure hope you recover fully in the not to distant future! Pain is not a lot of fun!

It would be great if you were to make it down this way. Be sure to give us a shout if you make it.
Cruising the ICW is not at all complicated. A few tricky areas, Charleston comes to mind. Stay between the markers and you can't go wrong. Doing the last leg on the outside was probably the worst, Ocean City to Norfolk....awfully rough! And then getting caught in an approaching cold front in St. Simons. We would have beat it if we didn't have to stop and save the three individuals that were clinging to an empty plastic gas tank after their boat capsized!! Ahhhh...the good things that you remember on a trip like that!! Priceless!
We cruised, on average, 10 knots as there are several no wake zones through out the ICW. We took our time and spent extra days in different towns and cities. 8 weeks on the water before we ended up in Stuart. And then lived on the boat for another 2 months at a marina. A trip I would highly recommend to anyone who has some time and wants to relax and see the coast by water. A GPS and a chart plotter is all you need. Radar if you want to travel at night or in the fog, which we didn't.

Looking forward to hear your plans for the future!!

Tom

Return to “General Discussion”