• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New AOG

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Ronbo
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: CT

New AOG

Post by Ronbo »

Hello everyone. Just joined AOG. No boat yet. My wife and I are empty nesters now. Interested in the 28 or 31 TE for fishing and cruising around Eastern LI Sound, Saybrook to BI, Montauk, etc. An occasional over night as well. We used to have a 22" center console in Niantic a few years back. I have piloted several 35' cruisers and houseboats(gas) many years ago in Lake of the Ozarks, but no recent large boat experience.
My biggest concern is engine make. Seems there are lots of Yanmars out there. The exhaust elbow problems worry me a little. The boats with Penninsular power list for several thousand less than the Yanmars. There are a few Cummins as well.
We have a large Golden Retriever that wants to come along also, so maybe the larger cockpit of the 31 TE or a flush deck 28TE would be better.
Can any current TE owners offer some advice on what to look for/avoid while shopping for a TE. Any regrets or things you wish you had done different?
Thanks. 8)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: New AOG

Post by DougSea »

Hey Ronbo,

Welcome to AOG. The 28 and 31, though similar in some respects, are very different boats. The 31 is significantly larger and heavier, and there are a lot fewer to choose from.

I'd suggest using the search feature of the site to do some looking around, and then post your questions in either the General or the TE forums. There's a write up on the different 28 models in the TE forum as well.

Good luck with the search!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
wpcv1776
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Redondo Beach, CA

Post by wpcv1776 »

Hi Ronbo,

Welcome! As for your question about engine make; I'm sure plenty of people will disagree with me here and that's ok, but when I was shopping for our 31TE I was shopping for Cummins or Yanmar and absolutely nothing else. There are a lot of great diesels out there but those two seem to have a much better support network. They're both concentrating heavily on the repower market and that puts them in direct contact with boat owners. i.e. they answer the phone. A great place to do research on engines before you buy is boatdiesel.com As for deciding between the 28 or 31, there's no better place than right here on AOG. Good luck with your search.
Ronbo
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: CT

Post by Ronbo »

Thanks for the replies. I have found a 31 TE in Tuckerton,NJ that had some storm damage that the broker said the owner had repaired. Boat had a salvage claim too, ins company wrote the boat of as a total loss according to info from the broker. Does anyone know of a reputable surveyor in south Jersey that I could use to check this boat out? Thanks again.

Return to “New Member Introductions”