• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

We rescued it- now what

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Parker Mawson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Winnipesaukee

We rescued it- now what

Post by Parker Mawson »

After years of watching this poor boat slip further and further into disrepair my husband acquired it from the widow of the former owner. Now let the work begin! I am writing this as the individual in the relationship who had never seen the boat before we took delivery, let me just say I am still looking for reassurance that it is a good idea, good boat, good project, ....and yes we work very well together lol!
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: We rescued it- now what

Post by Pitou »

So what did you rescue? :?

Standing by on AOG ...
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Parker Mawson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Parker Mawson »

A 1994 28 TE.... don't know where to start- we power washed the algae and the moss and wasp nests off! Now it's not green on green
Parker Mawson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Parker Mawson »

This was "Mr K" from Gloucester MA
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Parker Mawson wrote:A 1994 28 TE.... don't know where to start- we power washed the algae and the moss and wasp nests off! Now it's not green on green
LOL! Welcome, Parker, and good thing you have a sense of humor!

Washing is a really good place to start . . . at least you won't get grubby setting foot on it. The 28TE is a great boat - probably overkill for little Winni if that's where you eventually plan to use it, but lots of fun. Based on your description, the engine could be a significant challenge.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

What is the model of the engine? Fuel and lubricants need to be checked as well as the batteries. Have you run the engine?

Just take one step at a time and things will come together...

Happy project,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
Parker Mawson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Parker Mawson »

Hello everyone not sure if this is the forum but:
Our boat has a GM 6.5 with 860 hrs, was winterized and ran (not well) supposedly would only idle. Wondering if I should just pull the motor and update or if anyone has had any luck with that engine. All I have heard is negative. Not sure what to do? Thanks
Pete
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Groton Ct

Post by Pete »

If you pull it let me know, I might want parts from it, I have a 96 I just bought and it runs well but unknown hours, so I might be facing some future troubles,
, compounding the hull can yield stellar results, good luck , there are great boats
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Looks like your 28 TE comes equipped with some Yankee ingenuity. The GM 6.5 appears to be an engine used in trucks, and was marinized for the Albin. Good news is that the military still is able to get support for the GM 6.5. Do a Google search on the GM 6.5. Believe that “L” is the version of your engine ( double check). A good diesel engine mechanic should be able to get you over some of the rough spots. First question to answer is: is your engine turbo charged or naturally aspirated?

Check out http://www.yanmarhelp.com/index.htm. You will find a lot of good general information about a diesel engine in a boat. Stay away from their forum link. Best starting place is the quicklinks link. Note that the yanmarhelp.com no longer works as intended. One needs to use the index suffix… Found the Yanmar site to be a wealth of information as I was a newbee at one time, and I still refer to it from time to time…

Happy researching,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Welcome: Always pleased to see another Albin saved. The 28te is a fine boat. Assume you have the Pennisular engine. Lots of those in the group and rebuild and new engine service remains available through Pennisular or at least last time I checked. Would not give up on 800 hours without a really good diesel man checking it out.
whwells "Howard"
N4QC
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by N4QC »

Is a GM 6.5 now known as a Pennisular when marinized ?

Happy researching,
Joe
Albin Getaway
"LabTime"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

It's nearly certain that you have a 300hp Penninsular "Beast". We loved ours and had no issues whatsoever. There are many other fans here on the site. They (Penninsular) are still in business and a call there to Matt can often be a good start.

The engines got a bad rap because of a run of blocks that developed cracks. Matt will be able to tell you if your serial number is in the problem range. Other than that it's a good, strong, simple (and relatively cheap!!) marine engine.

Best of luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
special k
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: mystic

Post by special k »

was she in CT when you found her? one near my home that came from glouster and owner passed. she was sitting in the trees getting greener daily. if it is i can share some history. post up some pics of the project.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Parker Mawson wrote:Hello everyone not sure if this is the forum but:
Our boat has a GM 6.5 with 860 hrs, was winterized and ran (not well) supposedly would only idle. Wondering if I should just pull the motor and update or if anyone has had any luck with that engine. All I have heard is negative. Not sure what to do? Thanks
860 hours is just broken in. You probably have the Peninsular 400-TA. It was the popular model for Albin in the 90s. WOT is 3600 RPM. Peak torque at 2800. Mine loves to run at 2800 all day.

http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/WP-PENTEST/?page_id=216

As Doug mentioned, Call Matt and give him the serial number. I don't think your year is in the "bad" range but it's worth checking.

Welcome to Albin Owners Group.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Parker Mawson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Parker Mawson »

Thank you for all the GREAT!! information!! We believe it is the 300 hp peninsular beast engine. Will get a photo on here as soon as possible. For the person in CT who may have seen it growing greener by the day. It was in Tolland CT on stands. Thank you all again for the encouraging news.

Return to “New Member Introductions”