• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Albin 28 - 440Ah House Bank New Location

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Maine Sail
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Maine

Albin 28 - 440Ah House Bank New Location

Post by Maine Sail »

Hi All,

I just completed an install on a 28 TE with a Cummins. Boat is in Maine so no need for the rusted, non working AC unit in the bow. The shelf made a beautiful spot for a new house bank. Batteries were under the quarter berth and thruster wires far too small for the run. Wanted a dedicated starting battery and significantly larger house bank. This boat has the additional optional fuel tank and davits so more stern weight, or mid boat weight, was not wanted. I also do not like to install batteries in engine spaces due to heat creating shorter life..

Ripped out AC unit, rusted and useless, installed four 6V Lifelines where the AC was to better balance the boat and make use of the unused space. Rewired all heavy gauge wiring and placed a single group 31 AGM in the original location to act as the starting battery. The wiring on this boat was horrendous and it is now a lot neater but still has a ways to go. This is only phase 1..

440Ah's and a much shorter run for the bow thruster negative. Please ignore the charger, I was still working on the boat and the horrible Guest charger had already been ripped out and tossed in the dumpster... Positive cable for thruster was beefed up and re-run. It is like a new thruster was installed... Before this upgrade you only heard the thruster and the bow barely moved.... the bow now moves into a stiff wind... She now actually sits on her lines and is no longer stern heavy. She rides beautifully too. This bank added about 90 pounds to this area.

Installed a three switch configuration House ON/OFF, EMERGENCY PARALLEL & Start ON/OFF. There is also an ACR between the house bank and the starting bank. Not a big fan of the switch location but we can't win them all.

The rats nest under the quarter berth was removed and replaced with 650A busbars.. From L to R always on bus, switched house bus, negative bus.

House bank has main bank over-current protection sized to start the motor. Starter cable was sheathed.

Phase 2 & 3 will include the alternator and regulator as well as many other tweaks including a Balmar Smart Gauge for tracking SOC. Solar will also be added because this is a mooring stored boat with AGM's.. The immediate attention goes to replacing the undersized (too low an amp rating) windshield wiper switches that occasionally "weld" themselves in the ON position...........

Hope this helps with ideas on the 28 for those who want more Ah capacity. Many ways to skin a cat....
Last edited by Maine Sail on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Albin 28 - New Batteries/Location

Post by DougSea »

A nice write up complete with pictures! :)

Looks very ship-shape. Should serve you well.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Maine Sail
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Maine

Re: Albin 28 - New Batteries/Location

Post by Maine Sail »

DougSea wrote:A nice write up complete with pictures! :)

Looks very ship-shape. Should serve you well.

Not my boat, just one I did some work on and thought I would share another method for those wishing for more power. I got some good info here on the 28, saves me and the owner both time and money, so just thought I would pay it forward...

Great site by the way!

Return to “Albin Maintenance”