• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Seastar Helm

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

budhod
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Brig Bay, Newfoundland

Seastar Helm

Post by budhod »

In the process of installing hydraulic lines for my new Autopilot, the installer broke my Seastar Helm, probably by overtightening the fitting.

My boat is a 2003 31TE and had the original helm. I wonder if anyone has had to replace a helm or if there is a reasonable life expectancy on this unit. I think the installer should be responsible for all or part of the damage to my helm.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Seastar Helm

Post by Tree »

budhod wrote: I think the installer should be responsible for all or part of the damage to my helm.
Too right! I recently installed an autopilot on my 28 and needed to check if the unit had check valves installed, spoke to the Seastar distributors over here and found the unit was still currently made - 14 years after is was installed.

I don't think you should have an issue sourcing one, IIRC on the 28 the ports are 1/2npt threads but the back side of the unit is only cast aluminium. It shouldn't have broken, only if someone was over tightening it.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Seastar Helm

Post by RobS »

100% on him.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)