• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Just looking and curious

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Home, Treasure Island, Florida

Just looking and curious

Post by Chuck Waygood »

I am looking (just looking) at a 28 TE showing a home port of Annapolis and now for sale at Edgewater Florida. The name appears to be "Gypsy". She has a Peninsular Beast for power, only 410 hours. I have read the comments on the Beast, interesting but not dispositive. Does anyone know this boat or have experience with its use and maintenance? As an ardent Former Albin owner, still dangling on the hook, I would appreciate any comments.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: Just looking and curious

Post by jcollins »

Hi Chuck,
We have a user registered as Gypsy with a home port of Annapolis, MD. He owned a 1998 TE.

Could be the same person. He has not logged in since 2013.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Thanks, John. Turned out the boat was never in Florida, just the broker who listed it. It was in Annapolis and probably the Gypsy you referenced. The boat was sold to someone in Maryland, so you may hear from it again. I am still looking.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hi Chuck,

Just came across this posting. Glad to see you still have a soft spot for an Albin! Good luck with the "looking"!

What are your "drivers"? Price? Features? Location? I'm sure some of the regulars would be happy to send leads your way! 8)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Chuck Waygood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Chuck Waygood »

Thanks for your comments Doug. Am still interested in a very clean 28 TE, under 1,000 hours, preferably Cummins power, electronics (radar, chart plotter, depth finder), Florida location preferred but not mandatory, "reasonable pricing" (40-45K for the younger models seems average). The problem with Florida boats is often lack of use (older owners) and sun and salt aging, makes those Northeastern winter stored boats more attractive.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Chuck: Happy to hear you are considering rejoining the Albin Family. We do all miss your participation. The 28te is the right boat for us older guys.
I am planning to move in that direction as well. My thoughts are a 28te can come out of the water in the winter and get me closer to home. As you learned from your trip out here, it is a hell of a drive from Trinidad to Anacortes.
Listing of my Nibbles will come soon just to get my driving under control.
In any event, we all hope you find the right 28te for Florida. Keep us informed!
whwells 'Howard"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Chuck,

There is a 96 with a new 370 Cummins fitted in Texas if i recall - I enquired about the boat but in the end logistics for me was a no no.

http://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1996/Albin-28-TE-BR7041-2519071/United-States#.U4gwc3JdWSo

This boat has been for sale for over a year now and I would imagine putting in a Hard bid will see a result.

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

Here's the US listing to the boat Tree posted:

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1996/Albin-28-TE-BR7041-2519071/League-City/TX/United-States#.U4j5fnJdWYE

Looks like a decent deal. New power and a generator. Probably worth a serious look.
Doug
Sonny IV
ScubaPete
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Seaford, Virginia

Post by ScubaPete »

I wonder why a 1996 boat had to have its engine replaced. Is there something else going on there? Otherwise, the boat looks nice.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DougSea »

ScubaPete wrote:I wonder why a 1996 boat had to have its engine replaced. Is there something else going on there? Otherwise, the boat looks nice.
As hard as it for me to even conceive of it, since I graduated in the 80's, a 1996 boat is almost 20 years old. So a re-power is not all that crazy. Plus the new engine is likely to be more powerful than the one it replaced, cleaner running, etc. all good stuff. While I would certainly be asking about why it was done I would view it as a very positive thing.
Doug
Sonny IV

Return to “General Discussion”