• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Deleting Engine Zincs?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Deleting Engine Zincs?

Post by Tree »

Has anyone with the Yanmar 6LP ever taken the step of not fitting zincs to the engine but used the brass plugs as an earth point and wired direct to the hull anodes?

Reason I ask is when the coolers were removed during our engine major service and tidy up, I found quite a few broken off zincs in the coolers and almost certainly they contributed to the build up of scale in the coolers.

I'm considering tapping a blind hole or even make up new bungs for where the zincs are currently with earth straps from them direct to the anode busbar.

As usual, all input appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Re: Deleting Engine Zincs?

Post by amber jj »

Tree if your solution would work it would save a unknown situation like this 2 seasons ago.This winter I went to change the lower zincs in the aftercoolers on both the port and starboard engines and found they are both broke off.This pict was on the top of the starboard cooler.The port side had a floating zinc but did not permantly lodge into the holes like the starboard.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

Every enigne I have had has this potential. The solution is to change the zinc before it breaks off.
That said, I still have them break off. However I tear down my coolers every 2 or 3 seasons so they don't get clogged up enough to hurt anything.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

I just really think that the way everything is protected could be a whole lot better - seeing that zinc blocking the port on the cooler does lead to concern as we are often a long way out in one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I do mine twice a season, (pre-launch & mid season) whether needed or not, once it's in my hand it does not go back in, even when better than 50% still remains. Haven't had one break off yet (6 seasons). Through boatzincs were talking under $15 for the full set. And it's only a 2-beer, 4or5-song, pit stop. I have an extra set of the brass plugs so I assemble the anodes in the plugs and add a light smear of grease to the threads before I goto the boat. Then it's just a matter of out with the old, in with the new.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I'm with Rob and check them mid season which equates to about 3 months. 50% or less and they're gone. Recycle your brass plugs and the anodes are cheap. I usually find that the lower anodes deteriorate more rapidly than those at the top which may not sit in a constant bath of sea water.

At decommissioning in the the fall I remove the anodes from the plugs before winterizing as the poly propelyne seeems to degrade the anodes making it so small pieces chip off over the winter and an occassional anode could just drop.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

One thing to factor in here is we don't really have a season - we are out all year except for the three weeks ashore to refit.

The cost of zinc anodes here is pretty high due to laws made up by the clever people in the european union so what would potentially be 4 changes in a year could mount up to almost £200. OK in the main, the cost isn't the issue as we all know boats are money pits.

This is the first boat i have owned that requires zincs in the engine and in the past I have never had an issue with parts failing due to galvanic corrosion so this is all new territory you see.

I should never have become an engineer really, you spend 99% of your life looking for better solutions!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Thanks Kevin for the tip.Being up here in a fresh water lake, deterioration I hope, will not be as bad as being in salt water.But a least it is not to hard to check things out periodically.Hopefully just replacement during spring commissioning.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Tree, all good points you raise, ALL of them, I am an M.E., I feel your pain oh too often.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Ah, now I get it. My dad was an electrical engineer who majored in physics. Very painful for a kid who just wanted to get things done! For an engineer there's always a better way and more to analyze.

Here's a tip from a sales guy .. put some zincs in her and go fishing!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tree »

Pitou wrote:Ah, now I get it. My dad was an electrical engineer who majored in physics. Very painful for a kid who just wanted to get things done! For an engineer there's always a better way and more to analyze.

Since you've put it so effectively, I'll take tomorrow afternoon off and go then :-)
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Post by mike66 »

Just to get to you engineers.....are Yanmars heavy on aluminum? If so, than it would make sense to use aluminum anodes instead of zinc. They are probably better in general unless it's a freshtwater boat. It's all a part of maintenance anyway, so change 'em and pull your exchanger covers and clean on a regular basis. Tying into the boat bonding system in addition is not a bad idea.....but those connections can fail due to corrosion. I wouldn't rely on it alone.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Pitou »

Tree wrote:
Pitou wrote:Ah, now I get it. My dad was an electrical engineer who majored in physics. Very painful for a kid who just wanted to get things done! For an engineer there's always a better way and more to analyze.

Since you've put it so effectively, I'll take tomorrow afternoon off and go then :-)
I knew you could take it!

I will say that I was a lucky guy to have my dad to turn to when a mechanical or electrical issue came up, on or off the boat. Heck, though many of us curse engineers with "what were they thinking", we can't live without them!
:lol:
Glad you're going boating!
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “Albin Maintenance”