• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Surveyor/Mechanic Recommendation

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

kochler
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: Wilmington, NC

Surveyor/Mechanic Recommendation

Post by kochler »

I hope to purchase a 1998 Express Tournament that is located in the Colonial Beach, VA area. In the process of negotiating the terms now.

Can anyone recommend a qualified surveyor and diesel mechanic in the area? The boat has a Peninsula "Beast" 6.5 liter diesel which I understand have been problematic.

While I am at it, any issues particular to this vintage and style Albin that I need to be sure the surveyor and mechanic check?

Thanks for the feedback.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Surveyor/Mechanic Recommendation

Post by RobS »

She should be balsa cored so a hull sounding is important. Did you read my prior posts about what was the problem era with the GM blocks supplied to Penn?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
kochler
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by kochler »

Rob S. I have searched the web site for anything I can find about the Peninsula engines. It is a big concern of mine. I may have seen your posts, but there are so many, I cannot be sure. Can you steer me in the right direction?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

kochler wrote:Rob S. I have searched the web site for anything I can find about the Peninsula engines. It is a big concern of mine. I may have seen your posts, but there are so many, I cannot be sure. Can you steer me in the right direction?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1098&hilit=+block
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

kochler
Deckhand
Deckhand

Post by kochler »

Thank you RobS. That was helpful.

The boat I am looking at probably has one of the suspect blocks. It only has about 250 hours on the engine, which is another concern.

I am a rookie, and by no means a mechanic, but my impression is that a block is cracked or not cracked. In other words, unless the block is already cracked (which I doubt) there is no test or mechanical inspection that can be performed to predict whether it will crack. I suppose I can just look at the inspection records, have a diesel mechanic give it a good going over, and hope that if I maintain it properly it will not fail.

Sound about right?
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RobS »

Probably? You can find out for sure via serial number. I'd call Matt at Penn. diesel, get his advise and get prices on a long block, get a handle on local labor availability and costs and then make sure that you get into the boat for a price that would allow you to make the repairs and still have a fair deal.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)

Return to “General Discussion”