• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New to Albin boats

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
PenBayCruiser
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Camden, ME

New to Albin boats

Post by PenBayCruiser »

While I'm watching another snow fall over southern Maine, my mind is looking ahead to the next cruising season a few short months away. We're in the process of moving from a 32' wooden lobster boat hull based full pilot house pleasure craft of 38 years to a fiberglass boat. Along with lower maintenance (appx. 160 hours each year to cover the basics), we hope improve on board amenities such as h/c pressurized water, full galley, dinette, berthing for 4 and a fly bridge. What we don't want to lose is great handling, good fuel economy (2.5gph @ 8.5 knots) and easy access from wheel to lines while docking. A couple of Albins are in picture; several double cabins (34-40') and a 34' Motor Yacht.

We cruise Penobscot Bay from Memorial Day till the leaves fall off. Hauling out in the snow a couple of times. Frequently inviting along family and friends to enjoy being on the water and picnicking on the many islands.

I look forward to input from the members here on Albin boats being considered.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: New to Albin boats

Post by whwells »

Welcome to the group: It sounds like you are planning to move to one of the traditional larger Classic Style Albin's. The later Albin TE Series at least are not l likely to get you the gph you are talking about. One of the later Trawler Series such as the 36' would be reasonably close. If you are looking at one of the Classic series with the Ford Leman 120-160 either single or double it should be close.
You might also raise your question in the Classic Trawler Series to see if those with the particular Albin have some thoughts for you.
I do have a friend out west restoring a 34' Albin fiberglass with twin Ford Leman's who expects to be in your desired gph operation costs.
You will likely hear from some of those with 34'-42' Motor-crafts you are inquiring about.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sport-fisher/Flybridge Conv./ Twin Yanmars "Nibbles"
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22 "Nest"
PenBayCruiser
Mate
Mate

Post by PenBayCruiser »

Thanks for the response! Yes, I am looking at more traditional 32-40' trawler or raised pilot house style boats. Need the room to over nights and guests. As well as good fuel mileage, handling and easy access to aft cockpit and decks for docking.

I'll take you up on the suggestion to post in the Classic Trawler Series for suggestions. Thanks again!
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

How about something like this?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6389

I cannot believe how much boat that is for the money!
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
PenBayCruiser
Mate
Mate

Post by PenBayCruiser »

A 36 trawler would work fine. Though the Admiral prefers galley down, like on a 40. Also, I wonder why this boat hasn't sold. I may call, curious if the decks & windows have leaked causing major problems. Seen a sever case with a Marine Trader (Glad I checked her over on a rainy day!). Thanks for pointing this 36.

Return to “New Member Introductions”