• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Stuffing Box

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

flyboyjack
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Punta Gorda, FL

Stuffing Box

Post by flyboyjack »

Hey Folks,

...got anudder question. Seems my repacked stuffing box was shedding way too much water, even when static in the water. I re-tightened the packing nut so that it would leak about 3-4 drips per minute again while sitting static with nothing running and/or turning at the recommendation of a mechanic. Then I ran it for a 3.5 hour run and came back to home port to find that I had still accumulated almost 10 gallons of water in the bilge from the box. Should I try tightening the packing nut(s) to the point where it drips nothing statically and then check to see the drip rate under power? OR should I just bite the bullet and have it hauled and re-packed thus assuming the original packing done just a month ago was done improperly?

flyboyjack
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Re: Stuffing Box

Post by jleonard »

A new packing needs time to absorb some water before it gets adjusted. The "rule of thumb" I have always used is 1 to 3 drips per minute max while underway. If it drips at rest that's ok, but if you can stop it so much the better.
I would just adust it some more and see what happens. You can always re-do it in the water, it's no big deal, the boat won't sink.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
seasalt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: SW Florida

Re: Stuffing Box

Post by seasalt »

Jack,

I know that you can do it in the water but I have never had the intestinal fortitude to do it.

As I am sure that you know there are several very good, reasonably priced and double jointed boat mechanics here in Punta Gorda. If you don't know one, let me know. 409-739-9100 or seasalt007atAOL.

Ron
Ron
Hi Spirits (sold)
35 TE SF
Punta Gorda, FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”