• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Banks turbo?

Albin's "power cruisers"
turtlemoon

Banks turbo?

Post by turtlemoon »

Has anyone tried or succeeded at installing a Banks turbo on a Nissan diesel?
I was speaking to my mechanic today and he said it would be relatively easy.
eseyoung
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Marathon, FL

Re: Banks turbo?

Post by eseyoung »

Imho. Bad idea. First can I ask why you are looking for additional horsepower? The nissan without the turbo will push the boat faster than the hull was supposed to go. The isuzu in later years, is as i understand overkill. They are a displacement hull. I have not been on one with a 100+ hp but I don't think the hull will plane off. If it did it maybe a wild ride.

Id also be concerned with reliability issues. There is a turbo version of the engine. It had some issues with the block. I am not sure what all the difference between the two are. Both the na and turbo versions were put in the international scouts. Check out binderplanet.com.

All that said if I had to have a turbo. Id look for a used one from another nissan.

Banks makes a good product. ..a tuner in my truck. But I am thinking that the cost vs gain just isn't there. Have you considered a complete repower? Yanmar, isuzu would all fit I think it would be an interesting project to put a Lehman (6cyl) in a 27. I am not sure if it would fit. But there isn't a much more common, easy to maintain, quintessential trawler motor than that
turtlemoon

Re: Banks turbo?

Post by turtlemoon »

Thanks for the info, it just came up in conversation, thought I would throw it out there.

Return to “A25 / A27 - True Classics”