• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Newbie from Gibsons, BC

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Hempman
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gibsons. BC

Newbie from Gibsons, BC

Post by Hempman »

Hello and Happy New Year.
My name is Rob and Sail Away is my 1976 A25 motorsailer with an MD11D. Not sure how that got in the boat as it's obviously not original from what I've read on here. Anyways, she runs great but like all 30+ year old boats there's always some TLC to do both inside and out. I'm looking forward to getting (and hopefully someday giving) some great info here to help me out!
I've posted a couple of photos of her.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob
M/s "Sail Away"
1976 Albin 25 Deluxe Motorsailer, Volvo MD11D

Former owner - "Beach Music", 1964 Bertram Moppie 20
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: Newbie from Gibsons, BC

Post by whwells »

Welcome Rob: Yours is a nice looking 25'. Hope to see you some time near or below the border arround Anacortes or Bellingharm, Wa. Not sure where Gibson, BC is from the Canadian Border. We have had some participation from BC AOG Members the last couple years at the NW Rendevzous meet. Take a look at the Rendevzous section for NW and see if that will work for you. We would enjoy meeting you and seeing your boat.
We do have a 25' Albin Classic in the group and your BC Member has a 27'.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Flybridge Conv.
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22
Binford
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Port Orchard, WA

Post by Binford »

Gibsons is right at the front porch of the Inside Passage!

Looks like a clean 25, Hempman!
-- Tim Taylor
1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 I/O
1982 Glasply 16' runabout w/ 2-stroke 50hp Mercury O/B
Quiet admirer, and possible future owner, of an Albin 27FC
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Welcome aboard!

I've always found motor-sailers intriguing. While I'm pretty sure they're not as efficient as a "true" sailboat when under sail I'd also bet she powers right by them when running the engine and therefore combines the lazy days of sailing with the "I need to get there now" abilities of power. Very nice.

And yours is a beautiful example!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Rob is Gibsons the town where the Beachcombers TV series was filmed at during the 70's & 80's ?
Brian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Brian »

Say...clean looking Albin Hempman! I'm just up the road in Halfmoon Bay. Nice to know there are two on the Sunshine Coast now...although I did see a 27 up in Pender Harbour a while back.
Where did you pick up your from?
Tell us more!

PS: yes Gibsons is where they filmed the Beachcombers. Molly's reach is still there (decent food) and the log salvage boat "Persephone" is on display close-by. (Gibsons is a ferry ride away NW of Vancouver BC)

Here's our baby...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
bccanucker
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gibsons Marina, BC, Canada

Newbie from Gibsons, BC

Post by bccanucker »

Hi Hempman: Greetings from the Blue Heron and welcome to the group. We are a 36' Classic Albin moored at the Gibsons Marina. (We live in Sechelt and are currently spending the winter in Arizona.)
Did you get your Albin through Cam or? I don't recognize your docks. They don't look like the Gibsons Marina. ????
Our boat currently looks like this and is just to the left of the Marina ramp
blue heron 001.jpg
Roy Warner
Blue Heron
1988 36' Classic
Hempman
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Gibsons. BC

Post by Hempman »

Wow, a lot of replies already!! Thank you all for your compliments. The photos were taken just before I purchased Sail Away in July 2012. I'll have to get some newer ones posted. She's in D18 at the Gibsons Marina, covered in tarps.

Howard: I'll check into going to the NW Rendevous. When/where is it held? Gibsons is about 20 miles NW of Vancouver and about the same distance almost due north of Nanaimo.

DougSea: I've sailed her a few times now with both the jib and main and also with just the main. She also has a brand new genoa which I've set once. These boats are not "sailers" as they're hopeless at pointing upwind. However, I can get an extra knot or more from sailing on a reach or downwind (if it's a stiff enough). Plus it's a real treat taking our friends out for a daysail, just shut off the engine and still move along at about 2-3 knots.

Brian: Very nice looking boat you got there! I anchored for a night in Buccaneer Bay in August 2012. I remember it was very windy night - not much sleep worrying about dragging anchor. A couple of boats did. We'll have to hook up when the season begins again. I picked mine up from Ladysmith, though the previous owners lived in Langley. They had already moved up to a larger boat so I got a pretty good deal (sworn to secrecy). I've already done a few fix ups to her. The wood battery compartment rotted out so I rebuilt it with 5/8" ply. Got new batteries and boxes in the process. I also installed a Standard Horizon CP390i GPS map and VHF. I've refinished all the outside teak handrails so they're looking mighty fine now. To do's: The aft cabin hull liner has virtually peeled away so there's at least one "major" item for the spring. I'd like to just replace all the hull liner in both cabins with paint like I read Matt Lewis did. I also should repower her sooner than later 'cause she's darn slow. If I go over 1800rpm I risk overheating (FWC) and at that I'm lucky to make 6kn.

bccanucker: Cam had a cruiser for sail on his docks at the time (July 2012) which I'm not sure sold or not. You probably saw it sitting at the bottom of the ramp too. It has since disappeared. They were asking too much ($22,000) for my blood. I'd love to come and take a look at yours (once the cover comes off of course).

I think I've covered all the bases. Thanks again for replying and Happy New Year! Let's hope we get plenty of sun and warm breezes this season!!
Rob
M/s "Sail Away"
1976 Albin 25 Deluxe Motorsailer, Volvo MD11D

Former owner - "Beach Music", 1964 Bertram Moppie 20
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

Roin: Nice response to all. We are planning a pre rendevzous meet on Fri. evening after a day at the Seattle Boat Show. The particular's will be worked out then as to time and place for the next meet.
Tihs past summer we meet at PortTownsend/ Pt Hudson marina. The previous summer at Cap Santa in Anacortes, Wa.

Brian is active in the group and will I am sure be in touch with you there. You can always get info. on the NW Rendevzous by checking the Rendevzous section of the Albin Owners Group.

You are welcome to drive down and attend the Seattle Boat Show with us/ then participate that evening in the dinner and planning session.

Will get you some dates for your calendar when we have then after at the Jan 31 dinner.

My Albin came fron Georgina Bay, Canada and was delivered to me at Richmond, Canada near you.

whwells "Howard"
tgould14
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: tucson arizona

Post by tgould14 »

Hello Rob
I've never posted here before but when I saw your pretty boat I had to. I have a 1975 A25 Motorsailer with a MD40. I attached a picture I hope. I mostly use it in San Carlos, Mexico and have mostly given up on it being a sail boat. I did have it going 6 knots on a reach one time but at that point the rudder is about out of the water and you can't steer it. The manual says it is "virtually" impossible to tip the boat over with the amount of sail area it has. I have found this to be true a good half dozen times but it is still scary as hell. I do use the sails often though to steady the boat in swells while I'm motoring. They work very well for this and sometimes add a little speed. My top speed with the 40hp is about 11 knots. I've owned it about 15 years and am still in love with it. It's roomy, economical to run, fairly cheap to maintain and just flat out cool looking! Enjoy.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by whwells »

tgiuld14: Nice to have your posting. The A25motorsailer is an interesting vessel. Sounds like you have a lot of fine history and fun with the boat. Don't stop now that you are here. We will enjoy your comments from San Carlos, Mexico.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Flybridge Conv.
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22

Return to “New Member Introductions”