• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Gas lift struts

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Gas lift struts

Post by DougSea »

Anyone out there have any experience retrofitting lift struts to a hatch? The engine room hatch on Sonny IV is VERY heavy and I'd love to fit a pair of assist struts to it. A bonus would be that they would hold the hatch in the open position. Keeping it open in the slip is no problem, but I had to open it at sea one time and before I could secure it a wave rolled me and it slammed shut. Could do some damage!

So, I'm looking for a site that has a guide for sizing (strength, length) and proper mounting methods. Any help would be appreciated!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Re: Gas lift struts

Post by Tree »

Doug,

When I was looking to put gas struts on True Grit, I looked everywhere to to find a suitable option.

However, we bought Fisher Price in that time, but what I had found was the Modified Car Scene had lots of options, mostly in stainless too (they love all that under bonnet shinyness!) It might be worth looking in that area as most car bonnets or Hoods as you guys call them, are quite a weight.
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

DougSea wrote: So, I'm looking for a site that has a guide for sizing (strength, length) and proper mounting methods. Any help would be appreciated!
There are some links to sizing charts on this page: http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/category/gas-springs
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

I went for 2 seasons without replacements because the new ones just wouldn't stay on. The insulation puts a strain on them when they close and they tend to pop off. One of the AOG members told me to add plywood or fiber board between the decking mount and hardware to take the strain off and that worked. I used Attwood Gas Springs. Try http://attwoodmarine.com/store/category/gas-springs or 616 897-9241 for the correct size for your boat.
I have been advised also to keep the exact length line with hooks to attach to both the engine box handle and the radar arch to keep from turning your engine box into a guillotine in the event of high seas while you are checking things out. If the spring lifts fail, the safety line is your backup.
Good luck.
Jack
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

DougSea: That site provided gives some good information as to the struts and attaching point mounts, However, without knowing the weight of the door -which is heavy- it will be diffiicult to get the right one. Since we have the same hatch door if you come up with a solution I would like to hear about it. Some of the boats manufactured may have had such a lift. My electrical panel has a breaker for a hatch lift which makes me wonder if some were 12V powered. My truck has a pretty heavy cover with manual lifts so it should be possible to get ones that will work for these heavy doors.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Conv.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Doug I don't know if this will be of any help but this is the info I got from our 31te engine hatch strut.I would think the hatch door should be comparable in weight.

Industrial Customline
Newtown Squere PA 19073 Our strut is approx.22 1/2 in.extended. 17in.compressed Shaft is 1/2 in.dia.
Sorry I couldn't retrieve anymore info from the label. Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Thanks guys,

That all gives me a few places to look. I've been thinking about how I can measure the weight of the door. It's pretty big and has sound insulation as well as the fix fire extinguisher attached to it to make it even heavier.

Bob - thanks for the picture! The way your mount is set up might work for me, without getting in the way of maintenance.

I do plan on using two struts to avoid any tendency of the hatch to torque as it opens, but we'll see. One would be more convenient for access.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

Doug there is a twin on the starboard side.There is also a safety lanyard at aft end of hatch which attaches above the doors inside,but I have never needed to use it.It would probably be a good idea to in a rough sea.You don't want that coming down on your noggin.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”