• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Indian ocean Albin

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
summerveld
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: homans creek bayport new york

Indian ocean Albin

Post by summerveld »

Hi everybody,

Enjoying this site tremendously ,just a little bit of myself and my dream
Im Andre Dames 52years from Durban South Africa,married to Bianca
with 2 girls
My dream, my heartache,is my Albin 36 tri cabin moored in Homans Creek, Bayport, Long Island,
On the moment Freedom Too is in a bad state,for me just to expensive to revamp in the USA(ZAR10 =1$)
I want to bring her over on her on bottom,yeah, yeah I know a guy suppose to get wiser with age,but this
is something I want to do for myself and to all those oakies in South Africa saying im crazy to take a 36 trawler over
the Atlantic Ocean and will sink a lonely old toppie
I need plenty advise people,plz just don't tell me im a crazy old man,they say a mans most dangerous midlife crises is
when he fall in love with a boat!and I feel how the Indian ocean screaming for some Albins

Anybody visiting Durban,im here for your guys,anywhere you want to go,need help,advise,a South African braai,wine,beer
It will be my pleasure

Kind regards
Andre
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Indian ocean Albin

Post by Nancy »

Welcome aboard, Andre!

First of all, let's clear up a misconception. At 52, you're hardly an old man!

As to your boat, you haven't said what kind of rough shape she's in, but if you're talking about important components like a sound engine and hull, yes, you'd be crazy to head to sea. I don't know much about trans-Atlantic crossings, but I know I wouldn't do it with only one engine. How many does your boat have?
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Andre welcome and nice to have you aboard. You are a family man with great hopes and expectations. I join Nancy in pointing out this sounds very risky.

However, send us some photos and lots of detail about condition. However, great your love of the Albin it has to be a safe adventure. A licensed Capt. and close friend of many years contracted to take a retired 60' Steel Hull fishing boat over to Hawaii from the No. Coast of Calif. He had the good sense to take barrells of fuel and a full case of fuel filters.
He was on the last fuel filter of 30 plus when he arrived there after many days and lots of failures and hardships.
Had he not been a marine mechanic their would have been no arrival. Whatever the stuff in the fuel tank it almost did them in.

This little story only to have you check everything, be sure of your plans and then "ask is it worth it?" My friend would never take another old boat over for anyone.

whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher Conv.
summerveld
Swabby
Swabby

Post by summerveld »

Aye,Aye Thx Howard and Nancy,

Want to reply but my mail did not want to show up!
Like to know how can I get post notifications on my e.mail from Albin Owners Group

Strong hull and single Lehman on my Albin interior in a lousy/shocking state(will try to load photos)
But that's the least of my headaches

No laughs plz,this is my dream and serious stuff to me!
Thx for feedback and I will safe every word of advise like gold from your guys

Baie dankie en n heerlike dag vir julle!
Andre
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Tree
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, UK

Post by Tree »

Andre. That's nothing that can't be done where you are. I've just imported an albin to the UK and there's been a few issues with items that have not been compatible with what we have in the UK. But with experience and good tradesmen and not forgetting the help I have had from these boards, we are up and running.

Take some time out and make up a list of the most important jobs first so the boat is sound. The rest, you can do as you go along. That way, you know how the boat works and how to fix things when they break.

Most of all, don't rush it. Enjoy it!

Lee
Fisher Price 2
Hull Number AUL28489L900
Yanmar 6LP-STE
Built in Portsmouth RI, USA - Berthed in Portsmouth Hampshire, United Kingdom.
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Andre,

I was thinking. Irrespective of the condition of your boat and the fact that it has only one engine and probably too-small fuel tanks, I think it would be less expensive to ship to South Africa than to take on her own bottom, which I now think is out of the question anyway.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
summerveld
Swabby
Swabby

Post by summerveld »

Hi Guys

Thx Lee I start to feel better,Nancy this is the diesel useage to Cape Town South Africa

The trip is about 8000nm

Lehman burns -2gal/hour
yielding 8nm/hour
2000 gal of diesel to go 8000nm
2200miles to cheap diesel in the Caribbean will cost 550gal at 4$ per gallon=2200$
6000 miles to Cape Town-Durban say 2000gal at .50$ per gallon=1000$

Total fuel cost +-3200$

At 5-6knots with the 350gallon tanks and the 2x250gallon pillow tanks i.g 850 gallons of diesel ill make 4000nm!
Enough to cross the Atlantic in the roaring 40s with a smile

Quotations for shipping the Albin 28000$-25600$ and 18520$ then I stop looking I can buy one more Albin
and will have enough $$$ for both for diesel
Lehmans are incredible hardy and economical
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Andre, wow, I had no idea that diesel was so cheap in the Caribbean. Everything else there is very expensive.

That is a very, very long trip at 5-6 knots.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats

Return to “New Member Introductions”