• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Cutlass Bearing Replacement - Input Needed

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Larry1942
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gulfport, Florida, USA

Cutlass Bearing Replacement - Input Needed

Post by Larry1942 »

One of the first things I do when I get a new old boat is haul it out for any necessary bottom work. My new old 1984 Albin 27 family cruiser is now on the hard at Salt Creek Marine Services in St. Pete Florida. Needs an obvious bottom sand and anti-fouling paint job, a new stuffing box repack and it's almost time for a cutlass bearing. On my personal journey, I've reached the point that I'd rather pay a "pro" to do some work for which I don't have the tools and would rather not aggravate what's left of my back but in this case I'm dealing with a company mechanic I might unfairly be thinking of as a "milkman." What I see as the easiest bearing job I"ve seen (I've had six sailboats). Pull the prop, unbolt the bearing flange, neatly cut around the exterior mounted bearing flange and washer, pull the flange, hacksaw and push out the bearing, install the new bearing, reverse the process, epoxy the bolts back into the keel, ect. The mechanic sees it as closer to five or six hours work.
Would any of you with actual experience either doing this job or closely wathching someone doing this same job on the same model boat, let me know where you agree or disagree with my impression. Don't be afraid of embarrassing me. Learning how to do it right is worth all the embarrassment I can carry. Thanks in advance.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Cutlass Bearing Replacement - Input Needed

Post by DougSea »

I have no input on the job - that's one that I'd have to just trust my yard to do the work. Guess that may not be an option for you, unless you can bring in an outsider.

(Note - I edited your "subject" to see if we can drum up some more responses)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Chris & Dale

Re: Cutlass Bearing Replacement - Input Needed

Post by Chris & Dale »

I had the yard do ours this spring and here's a pic of what we found after 13 years.
Cutlass Housing.jpeg
Needless to say, we had to replace the housing as well, and this is what it now looks like.
Prop & Housing.JPG
I guess I've just gotten to that point where there are just some things I'd rather have the pros do. Good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”