• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

America's Cup

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Graeme K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Australia

America's Cup

Post by Graeme K »

"Question" Boat related - definitely not Albin.
The recent America's Cup challenge against New Zealand - where did the skipper of the winning American yacht come from?

Graeme
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: America's Cup

Post by loubennett »

Jim Spithill is from Australia. He married an American and now lives in the US.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
Graeme K
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Australia

Post by Graeme K »

Lou - You know more than I did, that he is married to an American. Australia has a lot of great sailors. Jimmy was one of four Aussies in the American crew!!
Graeme.
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

Yeah, most of the sailing team were non-Americans with Australia and New Zealand dominating. I think there were only two Americans on the crew at the beginning of the regatta and it was reduced to one when John Kostecki was replaced as tactician by Ben Ainsley from the UK.

Spithill was in Annapolis for several days last week making appearances and giving talks on the America's Cup and The Oracle team. He stopped at my yacht club and my liquor store on Thursday. He gave a longer talk at the Annapolis Sailboat Show on Sunday. The liquor store stop was for a Penfolds wine tasting. Excellent Australian wines.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis

Return to “General Discussion”