• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Help Winterizing

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Bluey
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: No Boat, No Port

Help Winterizing

Post by Bluey »

Captains, I think we've decided to leave our 28TE in the water this year. But I have no idea how to winterize her. So I was wondering if someone Out There with experience winterizing a 28TE with a 6LP, in the mid-Chesapeake area, would be willing to spend a day helping ol' fuddle fingers with this project? I'm more than willing to give you a cash "consultant's fee" at the standard mechanic's rate per hour, and a case of your favorite beer. Alternatively, if you know of some commercial firm that will help a mechanically challenged individual with this project, please let me know. I'm available anytime for the work, including during the week, and am anticipating winterizing sometime just after Thanksgiving.
Maurice the Boatless
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Re: Help Winterizing

Post by mike66 »

Are you going to use the boat at all, or layup all the systems as if you were on land? There would be no difference between land and water storage except closing the seacocks. I can't volunteer, Florida calls.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Maurice,

I re-pinned our "annual" winterizing guide at the top of the maintenance forum. Take a look through there, it should answer many of your questions.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Carl
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oxford, MD

Post by Carl »

Bluey, Sent you a PM.
28TE "Kozy L"
"How U Albin"
denchen
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Boston UK

Post by denchen »

I leave my 25 floating every year and have had no problems after doing the basics of draining all the domestic water and the water in the sea cooling intake. I shut off the sea cock and remove the pipe letting the water go, then remove the pipe at the bottom of the water pump. I leave them off until the spring. Make sure your batteries are fully charged, i was told a charged battery will not freeze but a discharged one will. Lastly I hang stout timbers over the side and half in the water, when it looks like its going to freeze. The idea is from our fishing boys to prevent large slabs of floating ice from damaging the hull. The timbers act like fenders. Leave plenty of ventilation to keep away the damp.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Lastly I hang stout timbers over the side and half in the water, when it looks like its going to freeze. The idea is from our fishing boys to prevent large slabs of floating ice from damaging the hull. The timbers act like fenders.
I'm trying to picture this. Do you have a photo by any chance or can explain this a little better?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

jcollins wrote:
Lastly I hang stout timbers over the side and half in the water, when it looks like its going to freeze. The idea is from our fishing boys to prevent large slabs of floating ice from damaging the hull. The timbers act like fenders.
I'm trying to picture this. Do you have a photo by any chance or can explain this a little better?
I'm picturing 4x4's hanging vertically with a line at one and and dipping 6" into the water, just like fenders.

Good idea if you're in an area with moving ice. Just wondering how many you'd need per side.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Albin Maintenance”