• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

1999 - Airex or Balsa?

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

xsailor
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Carrabelle, FL

1999 - Airex or Balsa?

Post by xsailor »

Hello,

I posted this in the 32+2 section, but haven't heard anything. We were looking at 28TE's, but we're now leaning toward the 32+2/35. I am wondering if anyone has any info about the core material used on Albins in general around 1999 vs 2006.

We are looking at a few 32+2's on Monday and are wondering when Albin changed from Balsa to Airex. I saw a posting with this link, which says that the 28TE went to airex at some point (no date on the article):
http://www.albinmarine.com/Press/Airex%20Artical.html

Did Albin do this with the 32+2 as well? If so, what year?

Obviously, we'd get a thorough survey done either way. Furthermore, I've never heard of an Albin having a major problem with wet/rotten core, but I'd like as much info as possible prior to deciding whether or not to spend more and get a newer boat.

Thanks,
Adam
joe.baar
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Everett, WA

Re: 1999 - Airex or Balsa?

Post by joe.baar »

Albins all seem to be different. On our 1995 28TE, in the midships bilge both sides of the centerline and within 2 feet fore and aft of the main engine suction sea cock, the core material is 5/8" very hard tropical plywood, I think 5-ply. The grain looks like Philippine Lauan but the material is much harder than what my previous experience has been for that material. The inside layer of resin and mat is about 1/8" and the outside is about 3/8" at this location. I have not explored other areas of the hull but am fairly confident the entire area below the chine, at least, is like this. Depending upon when your hull was constructed, very importantly what materials were available at the facility that day, and possibly what model you have, your hull might well differ from what I found.
(former owners)
Joe Baar and Suzanne Lammers
1995 28TE "Liberty" 6LPA hull# 132
Ballard
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

The albin web site had this on it ... (web site still seems to be hosted somewhere)

http://www.albinmarine.com/yachts/Press ... tical.html

My boat was manufactured in 2002 / 2003 and I remember on my first visit to the factory, Ed Winarski (production mgr), showed me a bucket with a piece of airex core that had been submerged in a bucket of water for supposedly a year with no intrusion. I think the use of Airex began in 2000 but it might be a year or so either side of that.

Jack
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

At some point during production year 2002 is when Airex core started with Albin. The key is during production year not necessarily model year. My Albin was an '02, but bottom was molded in '01 and top '02. My bottom was balsa and dry as a bone the day she sold. Pretty much model year '03 is Airex and some of model year '02.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
ralphwink

Post by ralphwink »

I have a core taken from my 2000 TE at the stern for a davit installation and it is approx. 2" thick with a balsa core about 3/4".
arcticspud
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gig Harbor, WA

Post by arcticspud »

My 1999 36 Express Trawler is foam cored. It was the first ET made.
36 ET
Twin 6BTA 270
Hull #1
Happy Place
Gig Harbor, WA

Return to “General Discussion”