• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Starter replacement - Tips?

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Starter replacement - Tips?

Post by Paddy »

My starter seems to have a dead zone in it...once in a while, I get a no-start situation. Today, I had to tap the side a few times and then it started right up. It's an '04 6LP-STE 315hp. I believe its a 2 bolt swap, but I don't "see" them. Any tips as to how to pull the r/r off myself?

Also, is Denso the factory starter or has this starter been replaced already? Just want to make sure I am ordering the right starter, the # on it is YM 11973-77010.

thanks
2004 28TE
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Starter replacement - Tips?

Post by Paddy »

All good, got it out in about 15 minutes today. Hoping to have the new one delivered and in by this Friday, just in time for next weekend.
2004 28TE
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

Hey Rob,

Any tips for the next guy? Where were those "missing" bolts?
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Paddy »

You got it.

I removed the starter out of an engine box model. Can't comment on how much fun you will have trying to reach it in a flush deck.

Tools needed are a 17mm socket / ratchet (3/8 in) and/or wrench for the starter, 10mm and 14mm sockets for a bracket.

On the starboard side, closer to the transmission is a relay attached to a bracket. I removed the relay (2 x 10mm) then the bracket (2 x 14mm with one bolt having a backing nut...don't drop).

Once the bracket was off, I reached under with the ratchet and freed the bottom starter bolt, same with the top.

Flip it over, removed the positive cables (17mm), unplug the ground and slip it out past the tranny.

For the replacement, I am taking a gamble. I ordered a rebuilt from a positively reviewed Ebay company for $157, much cheaper than a new one for $340 plus shipping ($80). I believe there is no core charge through this particular Ebay site, so I will keep the old one and rebuild the faulty solenoid. The kit is about $30. Plus, for $157, shipping is free and its already on its way via Fed Ex. Hoping to install by Thursday, pending any surprises.

Next week I take on the steering upgrade, I went with the 5313.
2004 28TE

Return to “Albin Maintenance”