• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Another Stop Engine Question

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Another Stop Engine Question

Post by Paddy »

Still a pre-Albin owner, the delivery is tomorrow on our new to us 2004 28TE. The boat past the survey with flying colors, although the surveyor noted that the stop switch did not work, the key off did. Is this a big deal? I plan on pulling the panel to investigate loose wires, but if its not that, can I live with shutting down the Yanmar with the key?

Thanks

Rob
2004 28TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Another Stop Engine Question

Post by RobS »

The stop button is nice for no-start cranking . should not be a big deal to fix. if the key shuts her down the solenoid and relay must be good so either she was never wired to the button or something is loose, corroded, etc. Start (no pun intended) from the stop button and check it with a VM to make sure it is functioning (making/breaking connection) and then follow the wire...
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Paddy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Freeport, NY

Post by Paddy »

Thanks Rob, might be reaching out to you more as a fellow Long Islander, in Freeport now, but grew up in Centereach and spent a good amount of time in Wading River, 2 good friends moved out there in the late 80's.

Side question, if need be, can we ramp the boat tomorrow? We have good cement ramps here in Freepo.
2004 28TE
Dudley
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Islesboro, Maine---Pripet landing The north east end of the island

Post by Dudley »

In 2011 I read about using the stop button. Mine on a 1994 28TE worked but I had always used the key to turn off the engine. When I stopped at Sandy Hook on my trip from Islesboro, ME to Sarasota, FL five Albin owners came on board to look at my ship. See "sf260w.com/Trip2011". I asked how many used their kill switch to shut down the engine. Three did. Of the two, one said his kill button did not work and the other said it did not make any difference.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”