• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Mid Coast Maine to Boston

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Michael @ Maine
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Heron Way Marina, Essex Ma

Mid Coast Maine to Boston

Post by Michael @ Maine »

Hi,

I will be heading out of Mid Coast Maine bringing 2 Strong ( 28TE ) down to Boston on June 7th. I have not chartered yet but expect to either do the trip in one or two nights depending on seas and weather conditions.

Two questions, first any suggestions as to where to spend the night the overnights? I would expect to stay south of Portland for the first night.

Second question, what do you recommend for nautical chart down load for Ipad?

Thanks,

Michael
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Mid Coast Maine to Boston

Post by DougSea »

I really like the Navionics HD iPad app. On my iPad 3 it's super fast and clear.

It's a bit more expensive than some of the others but there have been good upgrades and add-ons. I just recently paid the $4.99 for the "Auto Routing" option that will plot a course for you based on your boat parameters. And no, I wouldn't blindly follow it, but it does do a nice job of getting a route set that you can then edit and modify.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

I have always made Boston in a day from Midcoast. We get started early and can ususally make Gloucester before the breeze picks up. I sometimes anchor in Gloucester for the night on trips to/from the cape or BI. Closer to the mid point, Wells is a nice quiet harbor and there is an extensive trolley system during the season for getting around the area. Check with the harbormaster in advance though. When we were there last there wasn't much water and they were still working on dredging. Had to wait for the tide to come in to leave:) Depending on when you get started and if you are thinking of a couple of nights, you may want to consider something closer to Portland. Jewell Island has a good anchorage and is on the way if you are following the coast. I am sure there are folks on the list that have more local knowledge along the border as well. You didn't mention if you were looking for facilities, we lean towards anchorages and quieter areas.

I prefer paper charts to the iToys. Screens just aren't large enough (Plotters can have similar limitations) and I am not sure I would trust one for navigation. Handy for general planning and reference I suppose.

Enjoy the trip.
Chris
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

I still plot out on paper charts and then input to the gps. The paper charts on the chart table keep the Admiral busy and involved during the cruise. You can certainly do the trip in a day. My last trip back from Maine dock to dock from the fuel dock in Boothbay to my berth in the Annisquam was 5 hours at 82 nm. A nice easy pace. I could be tied up tight at Constitution Marina in Boston in another hour and forty five minutes (some no wake either side). Consider this marina as it is deeper in and not at all prone to the big boat wakes along the heart of the harbor.

A nice one night stop over could be Rockport, MA. I've never paid a tie up fee to the town harbormaster and they will reserve if you call ahead. You'll most likely be scooting around the tip of Cape Ann along your way and it's not a bad town to play tourist in. Get your picture taken along side Motif #1 and there are some very good restaurants too. From Rockport it's an easy slide into Boston along the northern reach of Mass Bay.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
rcwhite
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Southport Maine

Post by rcwhite »

I spent a year or so at the Constitution Marina living on board during the week. Nice location. Plenty
of current on the outside slips when the lock opens. Landing took a bit of practice especially when
combined with wind :)

The Aannisquam is a nice detour if it gets messy coming into the shallower water or just because.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

I've just downloaded the "Boat Beacon" app. Haven't had a lot of time to play with it but it is an "AIS" app that relies on shore stations to then repeat AIS data to a connected iPad or iPhone. Cellular or wi-fi. (I think there's an Android version for you holdouts...Rob) Has been written up with high marks by several reviewers, including Ben at Panbo.com

No, it's not true AIS, but it has some pretty nice features and could be useful coming through Boston and the CC Canal area. For $10 it's worth a look.

If you are traveling with someone else who's using it you can track each others course, speed, etc. They also talk about using it during races to relay info back to a shore station.

Also has a companion charting app.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
twenham

Post by twenham »

Take a look at EarthNC. This app if you purchase it for 10-20 dollars has Google Earth overlaying the NOAA raster charts. You can adjust the transparency supposedly on the chart to see depths and the satelite photo. The free version doesn't allow storing the charts on the tablet, the paid version does. So you can try it for free and see what you think. They also have a free online computer version. I purchased it when it first came out as a standalone computer version and love it. The Android version doesn't have the transparency feature working, but supposedly the Ipad version works, I have found it useful on the Great Lakes because one time when I was planning a trip to a marina I hadn't been to, the NOAA charts didn't and still don't show the enlarged harbor. The Google image allowed me to see that my ending point, that should have been outside the harbor, was actually going through a wall and inside the harbor. Another program I love, is Memory Map out of the UK. They used to write the Maptech software for handheld devices. I purchased that years ago and love its simplicity and the fact that I can easily plan trips and export them to almost any device, chart plotters, handheld devices and even handheld GPS's. It also used the NOAA rastor charts. The new C-Map PLAN2NAV app is very good and free download. The free version has basic world charts and a great weather and wave data. Again in the great lakes area their wave data is more accurate than the NOAA bouy near Cleveland because it calculates wave height and is always underestimating them. I hope this give you and others some good software to look at.
Michael @ Maine
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Heron Way Marina, Essex Ma

All Aboout Boston +

Post by Michael @ Maine »

Thanks all for the insight, we made the trip without incident spending the first night in Portland and cruising down the second day. When there is no fog, rain or high seas it is just and absolute joy to be on the water......

Now that I am in Boston water another question: I commute to my boat from Dallas ( long story ) but now that i have it in the Charles River I am going to take the summer and explore N/S shore and the Cape.

Any fellow members out there who can ( and would ) help us find some fish? Don't really care what we catch, cod, flounder, etc. Any local knowledge on good mariner to stay at for a few days?

Let me who you might are, where your docked and I will buy you an adult beverage for pointing out the good stuff and what to avoid.

Thanks

Michael
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

:idea: I have an empty deep water slip through the month of July on Cape Ann in Gloucester, MA. / showers, laundry, clubhouse, gas grills, gas steamer cookers for lobster and clams, screened porch and one heck of a cocktail deck. Possibly we could work something out ... and I'll share all of my fishy spots! For the whale show, Stellwagen Bank is only 13 nm away. :wink: Welcome to Mass. Bay! 8)
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13

Return to “General Discussion”