• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Brand Spankin' New Here :)

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
saltwaternurse
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Brand Spankin' New Here :)

Post by saltwaternurse »

Good Morning,

Testing...testing...1-2-3...Radio Check...is this thing on? lol

I'm making my formal introduction to you all - my name is Jane and I am the loving owner of a 1980 Albin 36 which I keep down in my Home Port of Ft Lauderdale. I am a wretched Sea lovin' woman with a passion for boats and have owned vessels for the last twenty years (Yes - I was two when I adopted my first hull... :D Not really - more like 22...) I started out as a sailor, 22 ft Oday, then had a brief fling with a 26 SeaRay before going back to my evil ways and getting a San Juan 28. Sadly, in the interim, my marriage broke up and my two sons and I lived aboard a Bruce Roberts 45 ketch for a year and most recently, I went to the "Other Side" and bought the lovely Albin 36. (There was a vintage 13 Boston Whaler SuperSport in there also - but that might be too much information, no? I mean, how many boat affairs should a girl admit to before people start to think poorly of her? lol)

Bit of background on me in case you're curious - I was born in England and spent my childhood bouncing back and forth between Florida and the UK, with side trips to Tenerife in the Canary Islands and Ibiza in the Med - the only daughter of a couple of Nomads, I am hardwired for adventures and such is my legacy, a wonderful, terrible curse...My sons are soon to be 13 and 15 - and though they haven't yet embraced the salty lifestyle quite like their mother, I have a feeling this trait will be emerging in them shortly. As my username implies, I am a Registered Nurse but I'm currently taking a little sabbatical and slowing the pace down a bit as I fear that life may be too short for all that stressing. We adopted a silly fat headed labrador called Max at the tail end of last year, and as a 7 year old, he's still getting to grips with being less of a Wuss and becoming a magnificent salty hound.

I decided to get my OUPV SixPack license at the beginning of last month in the event that the whole allure of the Nursing gig doesn't return and I'm still getting comfy with my Islander girl - so occasionally (no, strike that - most often is what I meant), I refer to myself as "Capt. White Knuckles" lol

I am attaching some pictures from the recent Spring Break trip to Key Largo and I look forward very much to getting to know everyone, someone or anyone... :) Cheers, Jane

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saltwatern ... 133712875/
Last edited by saltwaternurse on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. M. Twain
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Re: Brand Spankin' New Here :)

Post by Pitou »

Radio check heard loud and clear here in the northeast. Better to be Capt. "White Knuckles" than Capt. "Sandbar"! :wink: Hold on tight and enjoy the ride. Your 36 appears to be pretty squared away and you'll find this forum to be pretty helpful.

Welcome aboard to the AOG.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Hi Jane -

We read you loud and clear! Again, welcome aboard.

Have fun with the 6-pack stuff. Sounds like a lot more fun than, say, a real estate license. :shock:

The ice went out of our bay last night, so we're full steam ahead on pre-launch projects. First we need the water turned on in the yard, and then we really do need the lake warmer than 32 degrees.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
Panhdjoe
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Osprey Marina, Myrtle Beach SC

Post by Panhdjoe »

I enjoyed reading your post! thank you. I am currently lusting for a 36 such as yours, we have a 27 family cruiser now. Speaking of which I have next week off and myself and my first mate Janet will be off up the intercostal for a much needed cruise. Please keep on writing.
1983 36 classic
1995 192 Grady White w/ 150 Yamaha
2003 Boss 8'6" Dingy w/6 hp Suzuki
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Like the others your life sounds like a fun one. Those who put off for the future again and again never learn out to play and if they live long enough it is then too late to teach an old dog new tricks. Yes, play now and things will take care of themselves in the days to come. Have friends with the 6 pack license who do reasonably well. So welcome to you "Brand Spankkn" new here. Your 36' Albin is a great choice with lots of living room.
whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfiher/flgbridge 2006
Home Port / Anacortes, Wa.
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

AHOY Matey!!!
A big welcome from Stuart!! Took 8 months off last year and meandered our way down the coast...8 weeks of cruising and the rest of the time wondering where to end up! Here we are! Welcome!!!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Welcome aboard! That was a fun post. She's a beauty.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Nancy wrote:...... Sounds like a lot more fun than, say, a real estate license. :shock: .
Yeah that would even be less fun than an adjuster's license! (sorry Kevin :D )
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
saltwaternurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltwaternurse »

Pitou wrote:Radio check heard loud and clear here in the northeast. Better to be Capt. "White Knuckles" than Capt. "Sandbar"! :wink: Hold on tight and enjoy the ride. Your 36 appears to be pretty squared away and you'll find this forum to be pretty helpful.

Welcome aboard to the AOG.
Thanks for the welcome - and you're right about preferring white knuckles to a grounding - though I imagine she and I will do that too at some point - the water is skinny down here! :) Jane
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. M. Twain
saltwaternurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltwaternurse »

Nancy wrote:Hi Jane -

We read you loud and clear! Again, welcome aboard.

Have fun with the 6-pack stuff. Sounds like a lot more fun than, say, a real estate license. :shock:

The ice went out of our bay last night, so we're full steam ahead on pre-launch projects. First we need the water turned on in the yard, and then we really do need the lake warmer than 32 degrees.

Nancy - thank you again for the warm welcome! Glad the ice is melting - I had a sailboat up on the Chesapeake and I remember those days...Roll on Summer! : )
saltwaternurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltwaternurse »

Panhdjoe wrote:I enjoyed reading your post! thank you. I am currently lusting for a 36 such as yours, we have a 27 family cruiser now. Speaking of which I have next week off and myself and my first mate Janet will be off up the intercostal for a much needed cruise. Please keep on writing.

Thank you so much for your welcome! I've owned several vessels now and while any time on the water is wonderful (the 13 foot 1974 Whaler springs to mind!) I have to tell you that the Albin 36 is magnificent for cruising, so comfortable. I wish I'd bought one earlier when we lived aboard, you'd think the 45 ketch would offer more livable area, but the Albin almost 10 feet shorter is a much better layout for a Mum and her two sons! I'm looking at the trip North at the moment - Summer is coming and while I should get back to work, the kids will be off and all I ever thought when I was stuck in the daily grind was "Boy, I wish I could take off for the Summer..." Enjoy yourselves and I look forward to reading your cruise logs! Jane
saltwaternurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltwaternurse »

whwells wrote:Like the others your life sounds like a fun one. Those who put off for the future again and again never learn out to play and if they live long enough it is then too late to teach an old dog new tricks. Yes, play now and things will take care of themselves in the days to come. Have friends with the 6 pack license who do reasonably well. So welcome to you "Brand Spankkn" new here. Your 36' Albin is a great choice with lots of living room.
whwells "Howard"
35TE Sportfiher/flgbridge 2006
Home Port / Anacortes, Wa.

Howard - thank you for the welcome and you hit the nail on the head....Life is WAY too short! As a Nurse and in my personal life, I've seen it happen OVER and OVER that people make themselves slaves to the job so they can enjoy their retirement later - it's honorable and for the right reasons, however, how many times have you seen those plans get derailed by illness or some other unforseen event? I have been so lucky in life, I hope to continue that way but Life is for Living! Woo Hoo!
saltwaternurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltwaternurse »

tbnolin wrote:AHOY Matey!!!
A big welcome from Stuart!! Took 8 months off last year and meandered our way down the coast...8 weeks of cruising and the rest of the time wondering where to end up! Here we are! Welcome!!!

Howdy You there, in Stuart! Meandering is the BEST isn't it? : ) Good on you for making the break and just going for it! Once you make the detachments, the other part is easy...going home is more difficult, though when you get there, you realize not much changes! Let me know if you push further South, I'm off the New River in Fort Lauderdale :)
saltwaternurse
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by saltwaternurse »

Jack wrote:Welcome aboard! That was a fun post. She's a beauty.

Jack - thank you for the welcome and the compliments on my Girl! It's a wonderful life, isn't it?
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Meandering is the only way to go!!! The Admiral and I had the best time of our lives. No hurry what so ever. A trip that we enjoyed to the fullest. About 40 miles south of Lake Champlain on the Hudson River down to Stuart...what a ride!!!! Life is Waaaay toooo short....enjoy it while you can!! (I think we sold the boat today :( ) Another chapter in our lives have been written...life goes on!! As my Mom always said " don't wait til your golden years...because they aren't that golden!!" She was 96...and I firmly believe what she said!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC

Return to “New Member Introductions”