• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

installing captain's chair

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

byoung4653
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Grand Rivers, KY Green Turtle Bay Resort

installing captain's chair

Post by byoung4653 »

I have a 1985 Ablin 36 with backk to back bench seats on bridge. They are too low to see over to bow. Lookins for suggestions for installation of captain chair. Looks like best is on bench hatch cover but worried about tipping over in roll. The captain chair has pedistal with bolt or screw mounts. I would like to keep hatch cover intack as it is original with the boat, you know teak. Thanks for any suggestions. :D
mike66
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Warwick, RI

Re: installing captain's chair

Post by mike66 »

Hi. Our 40 has pedestal bases installed with a U shaped notch in the seat hatch top to accommodate the post. They screw in to a teak base that is epoxied to the cabin top, and the screws are long enough to penetrate into the cabin top. I had to replace my bases last year because the old ones were wobbly with wear. They are standard Todd units. I forgot the height I ordered, but they work great. It'll be another 6+ weeks until I could get you a photo. It does limit access to the rest of the front of the bench seat, but works for us. When I replaced the posts I used CPES epoxy to saturate the wood bases and the cabin top screw holes. Bedded the bases with 4200. Should be watertight. Good luck with whatever you come up with.
Mike and Sue Phillips
Warwick, RI
SUSAN HELENA 1985 40' Trawler

Return to “General Discussion”