• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Rudder Post Seal 28TE

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

ralphwink

Rudder Post Seal 28TE

Post by ralphwink »

In June 2012 we bought a 2000 28TE and I've noticed a slow leak at the rudder post. Anyone with knowledge and experience on the sealing system I'd appreciate your input.
Thanks

Ralph Winkler
Punta Gorda, FL
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Re: Rudder Post Seal 28TE

Post by Russell »

My 97 model has a regular stuffing box for the rudder post and yours probably has too. You simply back off the lock nut (lower nut) and then tighten the upper one to compress the flax stuffing until the leak stops, usually half a turn depending on how long it has been since it was adjusted. Tighten the lock nut. If the adjustment does not stop the leak you may need to replace the stuffing which requires removing the cross bar and the rudder arm to open the stuffing box. I did that this past summer while my boat was hauled. The size of the packing was 1/4 inch although others have posted that theirs took 3/8.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL

Return to “Albin Maintenance”