• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Timing Belt Adjustment Access - Help!

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

Chris & Dale

Timing Belt Adjustment Access - Help!

Post by Chris & Dale »

My local Mack Boring Yanmar mechanic is on board as I write replacing the timing belt, along w/a number of other smaller maintenance issues. While he has extensive experience on this engine he's never worked on an Albin 28 TE. He was taken back by the confined space between the fuel tank and nut used to turn the motor to properly line it up. He tried his sockets and couldn't quite get it in. In the end his decision was to actually cut back his socket to not be so deep. How has everyone else addressed this access challenge? Special shallow socket, another tool, what? I'm confident he'll get it right, but maybe there's another option. He's taking the sea water pump back to install a seal kit, the spray of which has started some corrosion which will need cleaning and painting as well, so it may be a day or so before he's back to finish up.

THANKS FOR ANY QUICK RESPONSES.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Timing Belt Adjustment Access - Help!

Post by RobS »

As has been said many times here, no two Albin's are alike. I have heard that some have ample clearance at the tank and others don't, so there is probably small variations in the exact placement forward and aft of the engine and/or the fuel tank by the factory as we are only talking maybe an inch or so in either direction. Mine was done on an engine stand as we pulled it to replace the tranny.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Chris & Dale

Re: Timing Belt Adjustment Access - Complete!

Post by Chris & Dale »

As it turned out, once he removed the timing belt cover, etc., he was just barely able to get his socket in and complete the task. Will do one of my "project reports" with pictures next week when it's totally complete. We have one obstinated zinc on the bottom of the transmission aftercooler yet to deal with.

Return to “Albin Maintenance”