• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Another PNW member

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Binford
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Port Orchard, WA

Another PNW member

Post by Binford »

Owning an Albin is not in my immediate future. This is a 5-year+ plan for me. I'm still fixing up my 1980 19' Glasply, which I plan keep long term for fishing, crabbing and general zipping around the local Puget Sound area.

This past summer's trip I made on that boat with my son to Olympia and back--the first multi-day trip I'd taken the boat on--stunned me with a $230 fuel bill. And I didn't think we really traveled all that far either. And that was on just a 19-foot boat! The thought of a trip up the Inside Passage in a 28' Glasply or Tollycraft costing $3,000+ in fuel about had me in despair.

Then I read about Leighway's trip to Princess Louisa Inlet from Bellingham (in an 25AC) and how it ended up using something like 48 gallons of fuel total! Yeah, it's slow going, but for <1 gph, I'm okay with slow! So I'm intrigued to have found a similar sized cruiser (I'm eyeing the 27AC) that could let me explore the Inside Passage without mortgaging the house to buy the fuel to do it!

So for now I'm just lurking here, trying to learn what I can about these boats and trying to excite my wife about owning one. Or at least getting her to tolerate the idea! A visit to next summer's rendezvous will definitely be on our calendar and I am very much looking forward to meeting some of you and for the opportunity to see some Albins up close.
-- Tim Taylor
1980 Glasply 19-1/2' cuddy hardtop w/Mercruiser 470 I/O
1982 Glasply 16' runabout w/ 2-stroke 50hp Mercury O/B
Quiet admirer, and possible future owner, of an Albin 27FC
marko
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Bern, NC

Re: Another PNW member

Post by marko »

Ok, you got me. Isn't it Binford Tools and The Tool Man?
Binford
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Binford »

marko wrote:Ok, you got me. Isn't it Binford Tools and The Tool Man?
You got it!

Though I like a good ale too!
-- Tim Taylor
Tahoma
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Great Loop

Post by Tahoma »

Welcome to AOG, you'll find it is a good way to learn more about Albins and specifically 25's and 27's. Last year at the Anacortes gathering, we had both 25's and 27's in attendance.

Our search for the right boat started in the same way you have started.

We have a 27FC that we use for 5 or 6 weeks each year to cruise the Great Loop on the east coast. In three years we've moved the boat from Maryland to the Chicago area (Maryland to Upstate NY, NY to north Lake Huron in Canada, and last year from Canada to near Chicago.

When we first considered doing the Great Loop, we thought that a 27' Tolly was a good choice until we figured out the gas consumption. We looked online for 27-30' diesel boats and the Albin 27 FC seemed a good choice. After seeing one that was for sale in Des Moines, WA., we knew it was the right choice. We bought Tahoma, our 27 FC, in Maryland sight unseen but with a survey in hand. She has been a good choice and a great boat for our style of cruising (we are sail cruisers on the west coast and Columbia Transit, our Cascade 36 for 30 years, has taken us north to Alaska, south to Mexico and west to Hawaii at about the same speed and with about the same space as an Albin 27).

The 25's and 27's are not common in the NW, but there are a few around and you should be able to actually see one if you seek one out thru AOG or the Yahoo Albin Cruisers website. There was a 27FC for sale in Port Townsend that may still available for inspection, that boat was at the Anacortes.
Binford
First Mate
First Mate

Post by Binford »

Interesting similarities, Tahoma! I still absolutely love the lines of the Tolly, but even at 7 knots, those twin 318s are agonizingly thirsty.

I saw the pictures from this past rendezvous of Mandalay, the Port Townsend 27FC that's for sale (or at least was; not sure). Looks like a great boat. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near ready to buy one.

I'll look for posts and pictures of your Great Loop trip. Sounds like a blast!
-- Tim Taylor
coolchange
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portland Oregon

Post by coolchange »

another Tim here....since you are into long range plans consider my medium range plan and stay in touch...I have an 89 27 FC that is really a delight but won't do well in the Southwest next year so I am going to be selling after a trip to the Broughtons in the early Fall. Has about 200 hours on a full rebuild and way too much to get into in the way of goodies but suffice to say it is a diamond! (Furuno, 2 heaters, Rib w/5hp, full canvas, etc etc...) Last summer did 2 weeks in Gulf I. , trip to Desolation, week in South sound and only needed to add a new ignition switch...also has a triple axle Loadmaster (galv. w elec stainless brakes)...a bit more than 1gph this seems to be about 2gph but @10 with a 157hp Nissan.
1989 Albin 27 FC w/ Isuzu 157 hp, Ford 6.0 Diesel, giant trailer
6th, and most favorite boat yet
Cruising: Columbia River Portland to Bar, San Juans, Gulf Islands,
Desolation Sound, Sunshine Coast, Broughton Islands
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Coolchange: Sounds like you have at least one more season in the NW. We have another active PNW member from Portland. We would enjoy your attendance a the summer Rendevzous likely in late July if that will work for you. Great time to show off the boat as well. Give it some thought. Sounds like you will be doing the Broughton's in the early fall, but since you have a trailer maybe you can do both.
whwells "Howard"
2006 35te Sportfisher/Flybridge Conv.
2004 Osprey Pilothouse 22

Return to “New Member Introductions”