• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member from New Orleans

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Trydyll

New member from New Orleans

Post by Trydyll »

Hello, I have been looking for an Albin 28 for a few months and have found this site to be invaluable in my search. I have just confirmed the purchase of a 1996 Albin 28 that is now in Galveston. I plan to close on the boat next week and must have it transported by land to New Orleans due to weather and time. I am open to any suggestions, thoughts or the wisdom of experience on moving an Albin 28 a relatively short distance. This is my first powerboat after owning sailboats for the last 30 years, so I am open to all the collective wisdom on this board.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Re: New member from New Orleans

Post by whwells »

Welcome New Orleans Just be cautious and check out your shipper. Then demand the company provide evidence of cargo insurance and require a binder from his company naming you as a insured for the paraticular shipping project - then back it up with a binder of secondary coverages from your own insuarnce company. We all to often assume these issues are taken care of. You do need to do the homework. Other than rhat enjoy the purchase,
whwells "Howard"
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Congratulations! With regard to transport, we had a great experience moving our 28 from Virginia to Vermont earlier this year. We used these guys: http://fccllctransport.com/. The price was excellent and Chris was very capable.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Post by thomaslong »

Thanks for the advice. I found a shipper bringing a boat from Florida to Galveston at exactly the right time and hope to have my Albin delivered next Wednesday. He comes very highly rated and is sending me copies of his insurance as you advised.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

Happy Shipping is going well for you. Please do post some picture when you are in place.
whwells "Howard"
thomaslong
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: New Orleans

Post by thomaslong »

Well, the future Idle made it here to New Orleans by truck Wednesday night, and we spent all day Thursday putting her back together from the delivery. She's ready to go out for a ride in her new waters of Lake Pontchartrain tomorrow. I have sent in a donation to the AOG, so I can get get access to the boat's drawings.

Idle, neé Separate Property, was delivered with a beautiful set of outriggers, which I will never use. I checked with the manufacturer, Lee's Tackle, who told me that this set currently sells for nearly $5,000. Does anyone know of a market for used outriggers? I would rather take these off my boat and have someone use them rather than carry them around and have to lower them every time I go under a bridge.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Does anyone know of a market for used outriggers?
You may have a market right here. Post the details and some photos in the For Sale forum.

Good luck!
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"

Return to “New Member Introductions”