• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Zebra Mussels and anti-fowling

Not model or forum specific.

Moderators: DougSea, RobS

Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

Zebra Mussels and anti-fowling

Post by Captn_Dwt »

We are going up the Hudson and into Lake Champlain next summer. As I plan the winter maintenance, I'm wondering if those of you who have traveled this route have any knowledge to share about protecting the boat from the zebra mussels in the lake.
What a great List this is!
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Re: Zebra Mussels and anti-fowling

Post by Nancy »

We're in Lake Champlain full-time, and have no problem with zebra mussels. We use Micron CSC, and the bottom is pretty much spotless when we haul at the end of the season. We do not paint the running gear.

Hope this helps.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

We were never in Champlain for more than a week at a time, but I never heard anyone complain about the zebra mussels. We were about 40 miles south of the Lake on the Hudson at a small marina called The Schuyler Yacht Basin. We were there for about 8 years before heading down to Florida. All we had to do was power wash the bottom when it came to winterizing...but again, we were on the Hudson.

That will be a nice trip. The Hudson is a scenic river, more so the further north you go. Stop at the Basin for an over night...super nice people in a park like setting. Enjoy!

Tom
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Captn_Dwt
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Pleasant Cove, Boothbay, ME

Post by Captn_Dwt »

Great answers. Thanks VERY much.
I had visions of the darn things plugging my intakes and more. I'll rest easier this winter, use my regular bottom paint, and stop in the Basin on our way by!!

Dwight
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Dwight,

Be sure to post when you head this way. It would be fun to connect if possible. Our home port is Malletts Bay, and I'd be glad to answer any questions I can ahead of or during your trip.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
jleonard
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Mystic, CT

Post by jleonard »

We may also be heading up thru L Champlain next summer.
Formerly
1983 40 Albin trunk cabin
Attitude Adjustment
Mystic, CT
tbnolin
First Mate
First Mate
Home Port: Stuart,FL

Post by tbnolin »

Nancy, I will say Malletts Bay was probably one of our favorite places to drop the hook when we were in the Lake. A nice sandy bottom with crystal clear water. Spent many a day and night relaxing and enjoying the scenery.

By chance, would you happen to know the Frechette's. They have a nice place on the Bay near one of the marinas. Friends of ours when they lived in Bennington...many years ago!
It's all about relaxation :)

Former owner of a 2006 40' NSC
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Nancy »

Let this be a general announcement to anyone heading to Lake Champlain: welcome! and be sure to get in touch with questions or just to say hello.

tbnolin, no, I don't know the Frechettes.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
halfmoon
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: EDENTON, NC

Post by halfmoon »

About six years ago I bought a Drascombe Coaster out of Lake Champlain and trailered it back to NC. The centerboard and centerboard trunk were rife with zebra mussels. The boat having spent a Vermont winter on a trailer was not considered contagious by NC fish and game dept. I don't doubt Nancy's post, but it might be worthwhile to get an official opinion. Afterall, we have to keep our bureaucrats in business.
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

Be mindful of the possibility of deadmen in the upper reaches particularly after storms or high tides. One chewed up the port propellers on a Sabre last year.
Don
carolmarie
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex, New York

Post by carolmarie »

We have boated (lived) on Lake Champlain for over 20 years. We are not aware of any boating issues re zebra mussel infestation as far as boat maintenance is concerned. The Carol Marie comes out each season with zero signs of contamination. On the other hand, mooring chains, winter stick lines "anything" on the bottom of the lake are another matter!
I don't believe you need to have any concerns with a visit to us here "upnorth". There are many great places to visit - don't miss Basin Harbor for lunch and the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum (short walk from the restaurant) and the sunset at Split Rock Bay Area.
Regards,
Don.
2001 28TE, Carol Marie

Return to “General Discussion”