• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
Barpilot
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Bayfield, WI

Post by Barpilot »

Hello:

New member here. Have been a sailor for almost 63 years. Got my first boat when I was 7. Just returned from a 4-year, 13,000 cruise aboard our Catalina 36, Leprechaun. We think it now may be time to kick back just a little and make life a little easier. We are considering moving to the dark side so that we can do the "Loop." There are a couple of boats under consideration, and both are different. A Monk 36 and an Albin Command Bridge. Different and unique. For us, the Albin would be considered a "go fast" boat. The Monk, of course, offers lots of space and amenities but still is restricted to speeds that a well sailed boat can exceed. Our concern with the Albin would be cruising for several hours a day at low speeds. With our small 35hp diesel in our Catalina, we are putting her under load just by moving. Pretty much the same with the Monk.
Would be interested in hearing opinions from Albin owners.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: New Member

Post by jcollins »

Welcome to Albin Owners Group. The Monk is a nice boat but I'm not ready to cruise that slow yet. The CB could be run at slow speeds for many hours. Just run it up once in awhile to blow it out.
Just returned from a 4-year, 13,000 cruise aboard
I'm sure you have pictures. How about sharing them in the photo gallery?
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
crowra
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Full time cruiser

Post by crowra »

We have an Albin 36 Double-Cabin which is very similar to a Monk 36. Ours has a Cummins 210 which was an 'upgrade' and we cruise at a whopping 8 knots. We have yet to have a sailboat beat us but I'm sure the day will come. Overall, for a 1987 boat she's been very reliable.
Ka'Why Knot
Rob & Sharon Crow
1987 36' Double Cabin
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

BarPilot: We have a NW Member couple doing the Loop over a period of years. Their boats stays along the Loop whereever they reach a point to head home.
Since you just completed 13,000. miles I assume when you arrive along the Loop is of no concern. My friend's have a 27 Classic Albin which would be slow as compared to the Command Bridge you are considering. Seems to me from conservations with my friends speed simply is not the issue there.
If on the otherhand you want to make more time you will find the Albin a confrontable way to cruise. However, I find the 35te expensive if you are pushing it at all. However, if you drop the rpm's to 2000 on twins Yanmar's in my case the costs is not so bad. However, that will still be expensive on a longer trip and running the engines much slower for any length of time may not be the best way to go.

Seems to me an Albin with a single smaller engine and bow thrusters may work well for you. Hope this helps. If you want to discuss directly with my friends I can see about having them respond to your inquiry. Although they are AOG Members I don't know how active they are on the site.

whwells "Howard"

Return to “New Member Introductions”