• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Thinking of buying an Albin 28

Kinera
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Annapolis, md

Thinking of buying an Albin 28

Post by Kinera »

Hello all,

I am thinking of moving up to an Albin 28 and have found a few for sale in the area. The model years are from 1995 - 2000. With your knowledge of these boats, what would you suggest I keep an eye out for?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Jack
Chris & Dale

Re: Thinking of buying an Albin 28

Post by Chris & Dale »

Having just spent months deciding what was important to us and then constantly trolling the market from Florida to Mass., having 2 offers that were late (already committed was the response), we were incredibly fortunate to have found "Irish Wake" in Annapolis. We took delivery June 1st. Here's a rundown of what was important to us:
1. Year - wanted 99 or above - Got a 1999
2. Engine box style - Yes
3. Reasonable engine hours - Not too low (not used much) & not too high (overused) - 1105
4. Service records - wanted as much information as possible (One owner boat w/every record from original purchase)
5. Wanted timing belt service done - didn't get that but valves and injectors were. (These are big ticket items)
6. GPS chartplotter, radar, fishfinder - Got it
7. A/C - Got it
8. Canvas - Only had pilot house curtains (have since done full enclosure)
9. Anchor Windlass - No - Installed a Lewmar myself
10. Autopilot - No - after driving her back from Annapolis decided I really don't need this
11. General condition - Wanted very good to excellent - Got surprising excellent

Find a good surveyor, be involved with that process, go on the sea trial, and assure you find one that takes pictures. Regretfully, the one I selected didn't and since I couldn't be there for the survey I've yet to see her hull out of water. The survey was really critical to me in terms of understanding the functionality of all systems on the boat before I gave them the final check.

It's a very personal thing buying a boat so make your list, prioritize the items, and set a standard below which you won't accept less. Once we settled on the 28TE it was still 3 months or so before the found the right boat and had our offer accepted. The 28TE is a fantastic performing vessel, and I agree with the collective wisdom you'll find here on this board about engine box style. To us, it was best. PATIENCE!

Steel Hers is PERFECT! for us.

Good Luck.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

I agree on all points. Don't target LOW hours only. A boat used 75 to 100hrs a year is usually the one that fits the bill the best. The owner is interested enough to use her, maintain her properly and fix what needs fixing. The low hour boats are more often than not victims of neglect and deferred maintenance. As far as options, my only must have was the transom door, everything else I could add. I'd rather have a naked boat than one that was over-accessorized to someone else's liking and needs..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Kinera
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Annapolis, md

Post by Kinera »

Thank you Chris, Dale and Rob. I really appreciate the info. We just made our first offer and will see how the surveys go. Again, thank you!
jack

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”