• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New member Long Island, NY

New members introduce themselves to the group here.
reelman955
Deckhand
Deckhand
Home Port: west islip ny

New member Long Island, NY

Post by reelman955 »

Hello all, I am a new member who is looking for a 28TE with diesel power other than the peninsula. I am enjoying your site and all the information. I am an avid fisherman that fishes year round. My present boat is a 84 mako 258 cuddy that has served me and the family well. I would never sell her if it was not for my family becoming avid boaters. We run in a circle of friends that do many boat excursions and overnighters and it was time for a compromise. I would love to get a downeast in the 28-32 ft size ,but, as my wife has explained, that would be selfish. So what to do. COMPROMISE. AFter much research and looking for the boat that would make everybody happy, I have narrowed it down to the 28TE with the engine box. I'm hoping to find one and make a purchase before March of 2013. The hunt is on. Your site has already educated me with issues wiith the yanmar 300's that had issues with the exhaust valves dropping. Had it not been for the info provided by members, I may had made a potential mistake. Hope to become a true member in the near future
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: New member Long Island, NY

Post by RobS »

I too would have been happy to target a true downeast for fishing and diving but knew that would not suite the family cruises well. The 28TE was the decided vessel and it has made me want to cruise more than I would have ever expected. We have had some truly wonderful family vacations over the last 5 seasons and the boat also suites us great for fishing and diving. Welcome aboad.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Welcome. You're already a true member. Now...become an owner. New York? You just beat us. Congratulations.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

John don't sweat the loss, they are just a bunch of overpaid, crappy roll model cry babies.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Jack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Essex CT

Post by Jack »

Welcome. I made a similar move several years ago from a 23 ' Grady White with twin 150 Johnsons. I no longer say a prayer before turning the ignition key. The Yanmar 315 starts first time every time. Lots of room for an overnight or two. We like the engine box for sunning, dinner table and when I fish, it's a bait prep station at times. There is a big difference beyween the smaller outboard boat and the heavier diesel powered pilot house cruiser. The first reaction is less speed. Then, I realized that when my Grady was hitting 30 mph, I usually had to throttle back anyway due to the Long Island Sound chop. I cruise at 17 to 20 knots now and like it. I get a surprising 5 gallons of fuel per hour versus about 25 with the twin outboards (they were older 2 strokes). Also, vacuum flush head versus toting a porta-potty and shore power for marina stays. Much bigger boat feel but not so big you can't single-hand it.
Good luck in finding the boat you want.
whwells
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Anacortes Marina, Anacortes, Wa

Post by whwells »

reelman: With a handle like that you will continue to be successful in whatever is your fish/cruise and family boat. While I jumped to the 35TE which seems to be fine for all of these activities - you are making the best choice in the 28. I too am a serious fisherman and now find myself somewhat handicapped with the larger boat.
With a 28 you can trailer when necessary and that adds a lot to your fun and success. Welcome and let us know when you find that right one.
While I am not ready to give up on the larger boat - I too am looking for an affordable fiishing boat for what has been "Worlld Class" fishing now for two season's at home and without a trailerable boat.
Knowing several 28 owners's I can say you will love it for all the things you want to do.
whwlells 'Howard"

Return to “New Member Introductions”