• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

High water alarm

sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

High water alarm

Post by sweetwater »

I'm planning on installing a high water alarm this winter. Problem in my mind is that while at rest (like overnighting) water gathers under cabin, under way it is in the stern. Anyone put any thought into where to put one of these?
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Re: High water alarm

Post by jcollins »

Not yet, but I'll be following this thread, since I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

So, some questions;

Do you have an aft bilge pump? If so, when it goes on automatically is there a light at the helm? What's driving your plan to install one? Are you on a mooring or a marina?

If you start to take on water while operating you most likely would notice the cycling pump (if you have one) and possibly even the performance/ride impact. I was on an Albermarle 32 with a leaking rudder-post on the ICW and when the aft pump light went on the the 3rd time in 10 minutes we investigated and found the problem.

And, with a caveat that I might alter my recommendation based on your answers, my thoughts. I'd install it midships, at a point above where your normal midships bilge pump maintains the water level. Most boats that sink due to flooding do so at the dock. A high water alarm mounted there will attract the marina staff and possibly save the boat.

Of course the switch for a high water alarm is a relatively inexpensive thing - so install two! Wire them to a single buzzer / light combination at the helm and you're good no matter what. :)
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
JackK
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Portsmouth, Rhode Island

Post by JackK »

I too am planning on this installation for the winter. Current plan is to add two alarms with switches to be able to disable the alarm. Here's why ...

Two weeks ago I was taking the boat out for the first time in 3 weeks (family should know better than schedule functions during boating season but that's another discussion). I had along with me my neighbor's son, another neighbor's daughter, both 10 years old, and my 15 year old lab. After stopping for fuel at Standish, we headed down the Sakonnet River for a short cruise.

On the way back up the river, I decided to bring the boat to full throttle to make sure growth hadn't become an issue. No problems getting to 3900 rpm and just short of 23 kn (against tide). I only stayed at wide open for about 4 or 5 minutes. As I throttled down, I knew immediately that I had a major problem. I felt water rush forward and the bow dipped considerably. The forward bilge pump came on strong. As I was planning to call the Coast Guard, the pump stopped.

I called Standish Boat Yard and told them I was on my way in with a problem. Denise made sure the dock by their crane was free and told me to come straight in. Ken boarded the boat as I was shutting her down. After some quick diagnosing, the water pump seal was the culprit. Combine that with a stuck float switch on the aft bilge pump and it was a recipe for disaster.

Ken had a new water pump installed before the next weekend so we are good to go again. My nerves a little frayed and a little more hair lost.
former boat .. 2003 28 TE Flushdeck Dogonit
sweetwater
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Oakdale

Post by sweetwater »

Scary JackK, Its situations like that that make me want to install an alarm. Water Witch makes a nice unit that can utilize two remote electronic sensors. More looking into is needed, but thats where im leaning.
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Last season while underway my aft bilge pump LED came on. I immediately opened the hatches to reveal that one my oil cooler end covers fractured and sea water was dumping into the bilge. Every time I look at my engine gauges I look at the LED's. Be sure any audible device is able to be easily heard when underway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post. To view images, please register for a free account.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”