• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

AC Not working

rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Rockport, Texas

AC Not working

Post by rcornejo »

Hello Everyone,

This weekend, I tried to use my AC on my 97 TE but could not get it to work. I had just used it the weekend before and it was working fine. The compressor would kick on but then cut off. I kept getting a high pressure message indicating that it was getting too hot. I tried priming the AC but that did not work. Does anyone know if the there is a fuse in the system that may be out? I did not hear any pump running that would draw the raw water through the system. Am I missing something easy?

Thanks for you help.

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Re: AC Not working

Post by loubennett »

Check your seawater strainer. Most A/C failures here on the Chesapeke are due to the strainer getting cloged with jelly fish.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Loubennett,

Thanks for your reply. Is it the same strainer that is connected to the engine? If so, that is clean. There is a hose attached to the ac ball valve going to the AC but I could not get that open. It is a small plastic container that looks like it is treaded. Does that sound familiar to you?

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
loubennett
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Annapolis, MD

Post by loubennett »

It should be a small sea strainer located between the A/C intake seacock and the seawater pump. Min is clear plastic and about 2.5 inches in diameter. Close the seacock and unscrew the top from the strainer. pull out the strainer and see if it is clogged. While you are there, switch on the A/C and see if the seawater pump is running.
Lou Bennett
2002 Albin 28 TE
Quest
Annapolis
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Both times after the Rendevous in Essex my filter strainers got clogged and no water running thru the pump or out flow. I disconnected at pump, hooked up dock water hose to pump inlet, turned on water to "blow out" lines and evidently a clogged sea water sea cock. Must have sucked up a bunch of weeds and debris that clogged up before entering the filter..Viola,,, now pumping and cooling like new :D
EI
Check water flow before running air conditioner,,,, always
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Zinbaad and Loubennet,

Thanks for the info. I saw the small plastic sea strainer. However, that is the one I tried to open but could not. I don't think there is a way to open it from the top. It looks like the container is removed from the bottom by twisting the container off. CHowever, I was not sure and did not want to crack it by putting too much force on it. Could that be right? Do you have any pics of yours to see if it is the same one? Also, I never heard the pump come on. Is there a fuse that may be blown out?
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
Nancy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Lake Champlain

Post by Nancy »

Roland,

Don't know if this will help, but on our Cruiseair unit, the pump is *very* quiet, and it doesn't kick on unless the control panel is calling for cooling. So it can be a vicious circle...if the condensor isn't getting water, it shuts down, and then you definitely can't hear the pump because it isn't running. :(

In my limited experience, if the condensor shuts down with a high pressure warning, it means water isn't circulating. Ours is a real pita to prime.
Nancy
2005 Albin 35CB
Yanmar 6LYA-STP 370
Valentine

Former boats
1995 Albin 28TE, Cummins 6BTA5.9 250, 2012-2022
1978 Trojan F32, 1998-2012
1983 Grady White 241 Weekender, 1988-1997
1980 Wellcraft 192 Classic, 1983-1987
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Loosen a hose at the strainer and make sure that seacock is working before you go breaking that strainer. You have to screw the bowl off the bottom. Its got to get done, now or later, so once you confirm its on a working seacock do what you have to in order to get it apart and clean it. If it breaks so be it, the small plastic units are cheap and it needs to be serviceable.
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Thank you Nancy and Rob. I will check on the unit next time I am at the boat. By the way, in the event the plastic strainer breaks, do you know where I can pick up another one? Living in South Texas, we need to have the AC working! :lol:

Roland
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

Get the make and model off of it and search Google. The usual sites like Defender, Star Marine Depot, etc. all carry them: http://www.starmarinedepot.com/search_r ... fromSearch
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
Gunny
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Charleston, SC

Post by Gunny »

I believe your seawater strainer is clogged. When this happens it will shutdown and show a high pressure warning. I have experianced this many times in Charleston as we seem to have an abundance of growth in these parts. Clean the strainer and you should be good to go. Attaching a back flush to your system will make it easier to work with.
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

I bought a pair of cheapo plastic strap oil filter wrenches at Pepboys, soft rubber strap wraps around platic filter, hold top of filter firmly and twist should work
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
Yearwood
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Yearwood »

All good advice. Could be cooling water pump failure (worn/broken impeller). While less likely, could also be water intake stainer at the hull.
Don
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

zinbaad wrote:I bought a pair of cheapo plastic strap oil filter wrenches at Pepboys, soft rubber strap wraps around platic filter, hold top of filter firmly and twist should work
Just a quick aside:

I've never had good luck with strap wrenches, but a recent pair purchased at Lowes (Their Kobalt brand) have been great. They lock the strap much more firmly than most others I've used. Huge help on the boat!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
rcornejo
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by rcornejo »

Hi Doug,

Thanks, I will pick up one at Lowes. There is a Lowes about 3 blocks from my home.
Roland Cornejo
Goin Deeper
1997 28 TE

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”