• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Engine performance and hull construction

pat jurczak
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Shore Acres, NJ

Engine performance and hull construction

Post by pat jurczak »

I am a prospective owner of an Albin 28, having recently sold a 45' Vinikg sportfish. I have looked at both the flushdeck and engine box models and preliminarily I prefer the engine box model based on easier access for maintenance. I do have questions about the choice of power. I have not been able to uncover the operating characteristics of the 315 hp Yanmar vs. the 370 hp Cummins, i.e., cruising speed and top speed and fuel consumption at each (cruising and top) speed. I also understand that the hull construction that may have changed from balsa core below the waterline to foam or other materials in the 2000 to 2002 time frame. If so, I would like to know when this occurred and what materials were used.
sablack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Breezy Point Marina

Re: Engine performance and hull construction

Post by sablack »

My understanding is that on/about 01/02 they went to an Airex core for the hull. I do not think it was boat wide (decks still balsa cored)...I will let others chime in on exact years...but that should be close. As for the 315 Yanmar, cruising is at/around 18 knots with about 6-8 gal/hour...WOT is around 24-25 knots, and about double or more fuel consumption. You can search on the site and i know several folks have listed their annual fuel rates for multiple engines. I am not sure on the 370...so, again I will let someone else with direct knowledge chime in.

I too have been actively looking/reviewing what my "next" boat will be. I had narrowed it down to the 28TE or the 31TE...but both with a single diesel. I preferred the flush deck on the 28...engine access on the 315 is not too bad, can't say for the 370...but imagine it would be tight. I have been on both styles, and just prefer the open layout of the flush deck...it really comes down to personnel preference. I HIGHLY recommend finding someone that has both and just get aboard...they both really have a different feel.
sablack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Breezy Point Marina

Post by sablack »

By the way, I have yet to hear of any issues with the balsa core on the older Albins. As long as any added through hull items were done right, it should be a non-issue.
pat jurczak
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Shore Acres, NJ

Post by pat jurczak »

Thank you for your input. I did find in another post that the airex cored hull started in 2002, but care should be taken to find the stamp of the manufacture date inside the hull (behind port side cushion??) as opposed to the stbd transom exterior. Most other information I have forun supports your assertion of the high quality of the balsa core of the older Albins.

Thanks once again.

Can anyone help on the performance stats associated with the 370 Cummins?
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Post by DougSea »

pat jurczak wrote:
Can anyone help on the performance stats associated with the 370 Cummins?
Try sending a PM to Pitou (Kevin). I believe he has the 370 in an engine box boat.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”