• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Recommendations on 31TE

sablack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Breezy Point Marina

Recommendations on 31TE

Post by sablack »

First, thanks to everyone who has previously offered some great advice. I originally had been looking at the 28 TE, but after seeing a 31 TE...I am strongly leaning in that direction. Anyhow, I just wanted to see if current/previous owners have some recommendations/advice on the 31. In particular...any set of years better than others? Were the 31s all made in the US like the 28? I am leaning towards a single diesel...possible the Cummins 450. Anyhow...any input/opinions/watch outs would be very welcome.
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: Recommendations on 31TE

Post by DougSea »

Any 31 owners want to chime in? I know we have a few.

Maybe there aren't any 31 specific issues! :-)

The 31's are all US boats, made in Rhode Island. I really thought I might go that route after our 28 sold me on Albins, but then the 35 came along! I can say from being on one with a single that the access to the engine was really great. It's a much larger boat than the 28 so I'm just assuming that the 450 is as small as you'd want to go.

Good luck in your search!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
zinbaad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by zinbaad »

Coming from a 22 wellcraft walkaround I too looked at the 28 and was almost there,,,,,,until I stepped onto Mahalo, 31 TE, 315 Twins it was and I've never regretted it. Bit more expensive on maintenace but well worth the handling abilities & peace of mind to be able to get her home on one engine. Getting that additional speed is nice too,,,I must admit, if there were twin 370's that would have been the Albin for me. Only saw one on line down in Fla but there was a deposit on it..
"MAHALO"
31 Tournament Edition
Hull#223 oop's
Twin 315's
Baysideanglers.com
sablack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Breezy Point Marina

Post by sablack »

Thanks for the input. I stepped aboard a 31 recently and was very pleased with all the extra space and layout...amazing what 4 more feet of length and 2 feet or so more of beam will get you...of course you pay for the privilege. Anyhow, any/all input is still welcome....

Scott
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The single screw will have a skeg keel protecting your running gear, the twin is the standard exposed struts, shafts, props, rudders. The single will draw more but you can touch down with it and bump through or back off. Or if you hit something on the run the skeg keel can save the day. But Ed's twin screw MAHALO sure is sporty compared to a single, it's all give/take..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
amber jj
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Turkey Point ont. canada

Post by amber jj »

I really couldn't say much until now.Last night we took our 2000 31 with the twin Cummins 370's out on her 1st. sea trial (really lake trial)We run her for about 2 hours @ 2150 and 20knots.No oil leaks or any big problems.My mechanic Russ came along with us and climbed in and around the engines while we were underway and tightened up a couple hose clamps that were seeping.The only problem was the short hose between the after cooler and the fuel cooler (I think that is what it is,or is it a oil cooler)on the starboard engine was bulging slightly,so that will be replaced.When we got back he was able to get to the out board side of the starboard engine and all was well.
The starboard engine on the outboard side is a real bear to service especially for my 220 lb.frame.It is doable but I would not want to be claustrophobic or heavens forbid to get a leg cramp while back there.That is why I why I took my raycor filters and coolant overflow containers from both engines and mounted them on the forward bulkhead between the two engines.Why Albin would have installed them there where they are so hard to service did not make no sense to me.
So with this being our 1st time out with her since our sea trial in Long Island in November all I can say is WOW!what a lady,especially now that she is ours.
Ben62
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Wilmington NC/Atlantic Beach NC

Post by Ben62 »

I looked for about 2 years thinking that a 28 was all I needed having never been on a 31. Last December I found a 31, 450 Cummins that was close by. After stepping on the 31, the 28 really seemed like a toy. I had never seen so much difference in "3 feet". We ended up buying the 31 and have been very happy we did. We have 2 boys age 4-8 and a dog so the extra space is needed
Ben

31 TE
RockHall
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RockHall »

We have had our 31 with a Cummins 450 for almost 4 years now. We have been thrilled with it. Plenty of room for us and our 7 year old daughter. It is also very fish able for me when alone. Tracks very well when trolling. Fuel burn is ver efficient. Is wee was the first time we broke down while running. We were 5 miles from home and a friend came to get us so not a big deal. The impeller shaft on e water pump sheared off. Not sure how at happens but have read online that it is not too uncommon with e Sherwood pump. Cummins overnightwd the part and it is back in and ready to go on Friday.

Despite e breakdown I am still happy with the single and would get another boat just like is one. Eire way (single or twins) the 31te is a great boat.
31' TE
Hull # 211
S-Cummins 450
Rock Hall, MD

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”