• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

New Transmission for AD-21

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

tmiron
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: Portland, Or

New Transmission for AD-21

Post by tmiron »

I have a Coronado 35 Sailboat with an Albin ad-21 diesel. I want to replace the transmission fromt he original (with the reverse spring) to a Paragon 2:1. I bought a second Albin Ad-21 with the paragon attached. I see that they welded up the oil connectors where the oil pumps into and returns from the old transmission. The Paragon has a separate oil fill. I'm wondering if I'm missing something, because the more I think about it... won't oil pressure just build up if it can't flow freely through? Is there a place int he engine for the oil to get around this? am I missing something?

Thanks for your help
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: New Transmission for AD-21

Post by DougSea »

Hi tmiron,

I don't know if we've got anyone on the forum that has your setup. Where did you get the second engine? Have you contacted the rep in Sweden?

Good luck!
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
pcloot
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: at Home

Post by pcloot »

Hi,
Where do you got the Albin from ?
I'm looking for one toooooo ?
I didn't know that the Coronado where equipped with an Alvin ?
Thx
jehutchings
Swabby
Swabby
Home Port: none

Post by jehutchings »

Two items that may or may not be germane to this discussion but insofar as I am new thought I would add what little I know. Just bought a project 25 with the original AD21 that has 8320 hrs on it. Thanks to information from Jens on Emelie I was able to bleed , bleed, and bleed the fuel system until I am now able to start her easily. Took her out for an abbreviated run on the Sacramento River and then back flushed pieces of the after market Jabsco pump impeller out of the head and the exhaust header. Couple of days later went to take her out of the slip and found I had no ahead or astern. Further investigation revealed that the problem was a broken 1/8" roll pin that actuates the dual acting cam that lifts the front plunger (#12 pg. 17 AD 21 manual) away from the inner engaging ring spring. Am headed back to the boat this weekend to install the selector mechanism and do more 'restoration' work.
Second item that may be of interest is a listing on the SF Bay Area Craigslist for an AD21 in Petaluma.

Hope this helps someone out there, John

Return to “Albin Maintenance”