• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Which 28TE...narrowing it down.

sablack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Breezy Point Marina

Which 28TE...narrowing it down.

Post by sablack »

Hello all...first, great site and appreciate all the solid content. Actually, all the info posted here, has really helped make my decision. Anyhow, I am going to be starting a sincere look for my new boat. After much reading, I have narrowed it down to a set of years (see below). My main question is "do I have it right?" I know many models are solid, and it ultimately depends on how well the previous owner(s) have taken care of the boat, but I wanted to narrow/focus my look somewhat. So, here was/is my criteria:

- Prefer the Airex core (started in ~02?)
- Flush deck (started in 03)
- Prefer the 162 gal tank (started in 04/05?)
- Prefer to purchase model year built/finished by original company, thus 07-09 "ish" would be off the list
- Prefer the Yanmar 315...seems to be a good power/quality/economy blend for this boat.

So, that said I was going to focus my search on a 2004/2005/2006 Albin 28TE. Although I believe they started the flush deck in 03, I always feel it is smart to give a company a good year before you buy into a new configuration. Also, I am not exactly sure when the original company stopped building/finishing the 28 and when the other builders bought the molds/left over hulls...so 07 might also be ok...welcome input on that front.

I always welcome input and corrections to my assumptions...thanks
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Which 28TE...narrowing it down.

Post by RobS »

My 2000 is Airex cored
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
sablack
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Breezy Point Marina

Post by sablack »

Thanks...is that when they started with the Airex core? It seems that I have read some folks have balsa core even in early 02.
Capt Ron
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Capt Ron »

A couple of years ago I cut two holes in the transom top for additional flush mount rod holders. The core there was Airex. This year I cut two more holes for flush mounts in the gunnels. I found balsa core there.
Owner of 28' TE
Pasteur
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Jamestown, RI

Post by Pasteur »

As they say, everything with boats is a compromise. Selecting between the flush deck and the engine box is no different.

- Prefer the Airex core (started in ~02?)
There are plenty of great pre-Airex core boats from what I have read. And I don't recall a trend of horror stories in that regard.

- Flush deck (started in 03)
It's a tough call. Aque'ne, our 28, is a Flush Deck. But the larger rudder, deeper cockpit and the engine box have their advantages.

- Prefer the 162 gal tank (started in 04/05?)
The range of this boat with the larger tank is a great advantage if you ever want to run 80-100 miles offshore from New England in search of tuna. Sticking close to home most of the time? You'll only save a tip or two at the fuel dock each summer.

- Prefer to purchase model year built/finished by original company, thus 07-09 "ish" would be off the list
Information on the newer yachts is limited but you shouldn't assume it's all bad. I'll bet those '11 Newports are looking for a buyer...and the Admiral that lives in my house would tell you "that's the one."

- Prefer the Yanmar 315...seems to be a good power/quality/economy blend for this boat.
The Yanmar has been great in the 200 hours that I've owned mine. But the differences between the engines are probably minor in terms of performance, etc. There were some question about some of the earlier diesels but in the end a good diesel is great.

Don't buy the newest Albin simply because it is the newest. They made 1000+ hulls in this line. It's a damn good yacht. Find the one that has the best set of compromises to fit your needs and get a good survey. You will not be disappointed.

Good luck.
Zero PSI and Zero PSII
2006 28TE FD, Yanmar
2004 31TE, Twin Yanmars
Jamestown, RI
Pitou
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Gloucester, MA

Post by Pitou »

2002 here with the hull laid in June of '01 ... balsa cored below the waterline. Three years agoI installed a new sounder and transducer locating the 'ducer in a different location than the prior. Removed an approx. 5" x 5" of the inner skin to find a dry as a bone balsa core. Removed the 5 X 5 section of core and filled it with glass and epoxy in preperation to drill the hole for the new 'ducer. No water infiltration happening there. If through hulls are properly installed and fastenters properly bedded the core will stay dry. Albin was good about properly installing through hulls and providing solid glass blocks for the common accessories added later. Don't let the balsa core scare you, just be sure to have the hull well sounded and gone over with a moisture meter. welcome aboard.
kevinS
>><<>>;>

Former Boats:

- 2006 31TE / Hull# 221
Cummins QSC 8.3 / 500 hp
December '13 - April '23

- 2002 / 28TE / Hull# 614
Cummins 6BTA 370 hp / Alaskan Bulkhead
April '04 ~ May '13
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Post by RobS »

The engine box has a wider port side aft bunk if that matters to you ..
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.

Return to “Tournament Express 26-35”