• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

peninsular beast

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

danwarman
Mate
Mate
Home Port: Norfolk VA

peninsular beast

Post by danwarman »

I recently changed the impeller, oil and other fluids on my '97 28 TE with the peninsular diesel, lots of hours but tests out well. Today when running at about 3000 rpm (outside temp 90) there was white smoke. Temp. gauge showed nearly 200 but steady. We reduced to 2400 and temp dropped to 150-60 range immediately and smoke almost stopped. When i slowed to 2000 rpm no smoke at all. I did not detect a smell and the smoke could be smoke or steam. Nothing like this before. Other than the smoke, engine ran fine. At the dock, I ran fresh water to the engine and ran it to 2600 or so and no smoke. However, there was no load on the engine. I saw that this could be a head gasket (steam) or unburned fuel but no smell and I was not able to see if there was any sheen on the water. Any other ideas?. If head gasket, must it be fixed immediately? The boat has operated at 160-170 temp. range at 2800 so this was definitely higher. What are normal temps at 2000, 2800 and 3000?

(Moved to General Discussion by Admin)
DougSea
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Safe Harbor - Essex Island Marina, Essex, CT

Re: peninsular beast

Post by DougSea »

Hi Dan,

I'm going to guess that you were seeing steam. You've got warm water temps and an engine that seems to be running a bit on the warm side. How did the "smoke" behave? Steam tends to dissipate very quickly behind the boat while smoke lingers. Since you've changed all of your fluids did you verify that your coolant is topped off properly? Raw water intake fully open? Also seems unlikely to be a head gasket as a minor reduction in RPMs eliminated the problem. (And you mention the drop in temperature)

You may have an issue with a partially clogged heat exchanger, compounded by warm sea temps.
Doug
Sonny IV
2006 35TE Convertible, Volvo D6-370's
Former owner - Sonny III, 1997 28TE with "The BEAST"
danwarman
Mate
Mate

Post by danwarman »

Gracias. Dissipated so lilkely steam. My son opened the intake and mane it was not wide open. will check fluids today as it has cooled off. Any good answer on average temp for the "beast"
jcollins
In Memorium
Home Port: Baltimore

Post by jcollins »

Dan,
I have the same engine. Same temperatures you have. I always have steam above 2800 RPM. I did a vinegar flush last year that dropped the temps about 5 degrees at 3000. 200 always seemed high to me but that's pretty much the way it has always run. You could change the heat exchanger and Peninsular has a larger water pump for our model. That is om my not-to-distant-future list.
I generally run at 27-2800. Temps at that range are just under 180.
John
Former - 28 TE Convertible"Afterglow"
danwarman
Mate
Mate

Post by danwarman »

thanks. I checked book. Temp range is 175-195. My coolant was a pint or two low. It may be the intake was not open 100%. But as you tell me, it may just be normal. Sea water temps about 10 degrees higher than last time I went out.
Russell
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Stuart, FL

Post by Russell »

Dan: Unlike in an automobile steam in the exhaust does not necessarily mean a blown head gasket. The cooling raw water joins the exhaust and some of it may vaporize and make steam. I have seen it from my Cummins too.
I notice you are in Norfolk. Where do you keep your boat? I am in Vinings Landing.
Russ
2005 Flush Deck
Honey Girl
Volvo D6-310
Stuart FL
danwarman
Mate
Mate

Post by danwarman »

I am at the Norfolk yacht club but until recently I had a boat at Vinings. I may have spoken with recently about going offshore fising. thanks for the info

Return to “Albin Maintenance”