• Welcome to https://albinowners.net, the new home of Albin Owners Group!
• You will need to log in here, and you may want to bookmark this site. If you don't remember your password, use the I forgot my password link to reset it.
• All content has been transferred from our previous site.
Contact Us if you have any questions or notice a problem. If you're not receiving our email, include a phone number where we can text you.

Adding steering fluid

Engines, Electric, Plumbing, etc.

Moderator: Jeremyvmd

KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Adding steering fluid

Post by KathyN »

Our '97 31' TE seemed to be stiffer steering when we launched this year and we realized that in the two plus years we've had it we've not added fluid to the SeaStar Tilt wheel system. I've checked past threads here for information, and based on my reading we've purchased a fill kit and steering fluid and will open up the fill reservoir and check it this weekend.

My question; it is not clear to me whether we will need to open anything up elsewhere in the system to purge the system when we are simply adding fluid, or if the "turn all the way to the left and to the right" will be enough.

Any advice will be appreciated! :D

KathyN
RobS
Gold Member
Gold Member
Home Port: Center Moriches, NY

Re: Adding steering fluid

Post by RobS »

Topping off you should be fine. Only when you start opening fittings, removing lines, adding pumps, etc do you have to open the bleeders on the cylinder. If you have air you will feel a bump bump in the wheel and it should work itself out. Stiffer steering could be in the rudder packing or perhaps the rudder shoe bearing. She is a single screw with a skeg, right?
Rob S.
"TENACIOUS"
1974 Chris Craft 36' Commander Tournament
Cummins 6BTA 330B's

(Former Owner)
"TOY-RIFIC" 2000 28TE, 6LP, Hull 408

Luck is the residue of good design.
KathyN
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Adding steering fluid

Post by KathyN »

Thanks for your quick reply! There is no bump, bump; just what feels a bit stiffer than we remember from last year.

We have twin Cummins 370s. We're going over today and will see what things look like when we open up the fill port. Will also check inside for any other visible issues.

Kathy

Return to “Albin Maintenance”